Yellow

Days later, and thousands of coffees later (sad I know, but my life revolved so much around my job that I often counted time in how many coffees I'd made), my phone pinged, alerting me of a text. I soft sigh escaped my mouth, I was beginning to hate my phone, like really hate it, but I just couldn't get rid of it. It was like an addiction, in equal parts usefulness to the point that I couldn't live without it, and frustration where I wanted to throw it at the wall or drop it in my bath.

Unknown number: Hi Iris, if your free this afternoon, I'm around. Let me know and I'll hopefully see you soon x

Me: Harry?

Unknown number: Who else? ;)

Me: I'm free, let me know when u want to meet x

Harry: 4:30? Meet you at the Split Bean.

He used proper sentences in his texts and no abbreviations, that was honestly so wholesome. Just the thought made me smile.

I checked the time, my heart dropping when I realised it was already quarter to four. I had only forty-five minutes until I saw him and it wasn't that I really cared what I looked like, and I got the feeling he probably wouldn't either, but if I was going to get coffee with him then we might be photographed. Maybe? God I hope not.

Embarrassed as I am to say it, I sneaked a quick break from my shift to go to the loo and re apply my mascara and straighten my sweater, sighing at the small chocolate stain on it and my crumpled jeans. Today was not my day.

4:30 arrived both way to quickly and far to slowly. The second hand on the clock seemed to have stopped it's endless, futile journey around the clock for the first time in my life yet when the clock hit 4:30 and he appeared outside the doors, perfectly punctual, it was too quick. I wasn't ready.

He leaned against the door, a hood pulled down low over his forehead whilst he looked at his phone, no doubt desperately hoping that no paparazzi would recognise him.

'Ash!' I shouted, aiming my voice towards the back room, 'I'm going to leave now,'. He emerged as he heard my shout, looking disgruntled and complaining,

'What is the point in hiring someone if they're never here?' But then he gave me a wink and told me to have fun. I elbowed him in his side, telling him it was absolutely nothing like that and we were JUST friends before walking off. Being a drama king as usual, Ash fell to the floor, pretending he was mortally wounded.

The door was right there, and Harry was on the other side of it, still unaware I was right there. Harry was right there, and I was going to go and spend time with him. I would have to make conversation and couldn't rely on anyone else and worse than that he was famous, he had met so many interesting, famous, confident people in his life. What the hell was I doing thinking I could hang out with him? I could feel my throat constricting but I shook it back, telling myself now was not the time for my anxiety to show.

What if I just didn't go outside? That didn't seem like a bad option – it wasn't like I was ditching a friend or someone who didn't have anyone else. No Iris, get your shit together this will be good for you. But what if I just didn't step outside.... That wouldn't be such a bad option. My inner monologue was tiring me so I manned up and just stepped out the door. I knew that if I didn't do this, I would never stop regretting the opportunity I missed despite the fact I know that I will be questioning everything I say even as it comes out my mouth and this 'simple coffee' will be very stressful for me. A cold gust of January wind hit me, as I pushed open the door, and I wrapped my puffer around me tighter. Decision made, see Iris, it wasn't that hard.

'Hi Harry,' I said softly. He looked up in surprise, a small frown coming over his face and his lips parting, but when he saw it was me, his eyes lit up, almost as though he was excited to see me.