Forest Gump

Ash gives me a last nod as I wipe down the last table, grab my coat and head out the door, shouting that I'll see him tomorrow.

On the way home, I wander into a pizza place, planning on getting a couple of pizzas and maybe some dough balls as well for me and Maya to enjoy for supper. I mean, I didn't know for sure that she would be home, but the chances were good and even if she wasn't, we could eat it cold tomorrow.

As I sit in the corner, scrolling slowly through my Instagram with the gorgeous smell of baking pizza filling the room, it strikes me that I haven't had any hate comments in a long time. I mean, sure there's the occasional one but I can deal with that. It's the constant barrage of loathing and death threats that I couldn't deal with.

But then I realise that no-one knows me and Harry are back together. We never announced we were broken up, but it probably became pretty obvious when we weren't seen together for months and I hadn't mentioned his album release to anyone or even put it on my story.

Him coming to New York would probably be the first time anyone even began to think that we were back together because there was no way we could avoid the aggressive paparazzi whilst in New York and just the thought of the inevitable hate I was going to get made my chest tighten in crippling nerves.

The man behind the counter shouted my name and I stood up to collect the pizza, grabbing the bag from him with a cheerful smile and a thank you. I basically had the same job as him: preparing what customers wanted and handing it to them, so I knew that a simple smile and a friendly customer could really improve someone's day.

It wasn't far back to our apartment from our regular pizza place because of course we'd chosen the one nearest our apartment to limit the amount of exercise we had to do to get our food. We just happened to be lucky that it also turned out to be extremely tasty and not soggy crap.

The warm bag occasionally hit my legs as I walked quickly back to our apartment, not wanting the chilly air to cool the pizza too much. I thought about texting Maya to ask if she was there but then I reasoned with myself that that was ridiculous because I'd literally find out in a couple of minutes when I walked through the door and she was either there or it was just Stanley alone.

I manoeuvred my way through our door backwards as I didn't have the hands to push it open.

'MAYA!' I shouted tripping backwards as I struggled to push the door shut again.

'Yep,' she mumbled from the sofa and I smiled in triumph, this would be a fun evening with pizza and another black and white film where we could appreciate the beautiful cinematography and simplicity of their love on screen.

But as I walked over the sofa, I spotted another person on the sofa. Their hair was short and mousy so maybe Ollie...maybe the hair was making his blonde hair look darker? Except it just didn't look like him, I knew Ollie well enough to be able to recognise him from behind and this was not Ollie.

So who the hell was it

No men except Ollie and Luke ever came to our apartment, and Harry sometimes.

The strange man stood up, turning to face me and when I didn't recognise him, my bewilderment only grew.

'Hi, I'm Noah,' he gave a small smile and lifted a hand in a gesture of greeting and suddenly I understood.

I widened my eyes and waggled my eyebrows at Maya in a gesture of surprise yet excitement before turning back to Noah, placing a soft smile on my face as I nodded at him,

'I'm Iris...so pizza?' I ask, lifting the bag full higher so it was visible to both of them. I definitely hadn't bought enough pizza if Noah was here as well but I'm sure we could find ice cream or something in our fridge.