l e n d i n g a h a n d

Crack.

Our feet slam onto the ground once more, my hand still squeezed in Draco's as we open our eyes.

My house sits peacefully before us, the night sky hanging overhead as I hear Draco's breathing beside me. I look at him and see his expression.

His eyes are slightly wide and his chest is moving quickly while quiet yet rapid breaths escape his lips. He clamps his mouth shut and gulps at the sight of my house before turning to me, looking panicked.

"It's alright," I say calmly, giving his hand a squeeze. "I just... I needed to get you out of there. It'll be alright."

His eyes soften, taking a deep breath but not uttering a word just yet. After a moment, he finally parts his lips to speak in a very small voice.

"Thank you."

I smile and release his hand, stepping forward to lead him inside. I can tell he's nervous but definitely relieved to be away from his father.

We walk to the door and I slowly open it, revealing Mum still seated on the couch with a mug of tea. Draco is behind me, his expression showing clear anxiety before I gently motion him inside. He steps through the door as Mum looks up.

"Mum..." I say calmly, closing the door behind us, "this is Draco."

Mum rises from the couch and observes Draco's face for a moment, walking closer. She looks calm but is showing just a hint of concern.

"Hello, Draco," she greets softly, beginning to smile. "I'm Erin. Welcome to our home."

I look at Draco, who's gulped and darted his eyes to the floor.

"I...t-thank you..." he stammers out nervously, his eyes not meeting my mother's. He shoves his hands in his pockets as Mum's expression turns sympathetic. She glances at me and I give her a look, my eyes switching from Draco then to her with concern. She understands.

"Draco needs to stay with us for just a little while..." I say, "Is that alright?"

Mum smiles comfortingly and looks at Draco with a warm expression. "Of course. Take all the time you need. Would you like some tea?"

Draco looked up at her and smiled a little. "Okay."

I can tell she knows something's up, but I'm still a tad bit surprised she's so welcoming to a stranger. Although she's always trusted my friends, so I suppose it makes sense.

I gently grab Draco's hand and guide him to the staircase as Mum watches us, Draco nervously following me with quiet footsteps. I noticed at the manor that he was clutching a shoulder bag like he was about to leave somewhere, and it's still slung around his arm as we climb the steps.

I lead him to my bedroom and open the door, motioning him inside with a friendly smile.

He cautiously steps in, like he's unsure whether he should be or not, and I follow right behind him and shut the door. I sit on the edge of my bed and look up at him. He's standing in the middle of the room, looking around with a still anxious yet calmer expression than before.

"Draco," I say, prompting him to look at me. I gently pat my bed. "Sit."

He swallows hard and sets his bag down, approaching the bed and sitting beside me slowly. His eyes are focused downward as I keep my own comforting gaze on him. He's barely said anything yet, but his eyes sure are saying a lot.

"What's goin' on?" I ask. 

He takes a shaky breath before responding.

"It... it was my father..." he says quietly, still staring at my carpet, "it started about a week ago."