a n e w t e r m

With only one week until we leave for Hogwarts, Harry, Hermione, Ginny, Ron and I have all of our preparations in order and have pretty much crossed everything off the bucket list.

I've got lots ahead of me this year... my final classes, N.E.W.T courses, teaching potions with Slughorn, and figuring out my future. It's of course going to be quite a bit, but I'm still excited nonetheless.

I also have a sort of sunken feeling when I think about how I won't be looking at a laughing Fred, George, and Lee in the opposite compartment, trunks packed for the new year. 

But I try not to think about it. I think about how funny it will be to hear Fred use a muggle telephone for the first time.

During the week leading up to my departure, Mum and I spend a lot of time together. We shop a bit for clothes I can bring to school, we bake treats to give out to my friends on the train, we stay up late watching movies and playing hilarious card and board games... it's a lot of fun. I'm gonna miss her loads.

Finally, the Saturday that the Hogwarts Express departs for school has arrived. 

I have the usual start-of-school jitters in my stomach as I go about my morning routine, rushing around the house brushing my teeth, getting dressed, throwing last-minute things in my trunk, and making sure I'm ready to go.

Mum and I eventually make it to King's Cross Station at around ten forty-five, fifteen minutes before the train pulls away. I'm walking alongside Mum towards the train with my cartful of trunks and an owl cage along with my wand in my pocket when I spot Harry, Hermione, and Ron straight ahead.

"Hey!" I call with a smile. They turn their heads, looking around for the source of the voice and finally make eye contact with me. The three of them grin as I push my cart up to position it beside their own, Mum approaching my side again. "You guys ready?"

"Honestly, I don't even know," Ron sighs.

I chuckle, patting a hand on his shoulder.

"It'll be great. Our final year, get excited!" I punch his arm, trying to lift their spirits.

"Everything's bound to be so much harder, though..." Ron groans, rubbing the spot I hit, "...I wish we could just lay low this year."

"Oh, come on, you poor baby, you can handle it," Hermione giggles at her boyfriend, linking her arm in his. "But just know I'm not letting you cheat off of me this year."

"I wish you guys all the best," Mum tells the group with a bright smile. "Don't worry, it's going to be great! Just like Eloise said. Have faith."

Harry, Ron, and Hermione all smile at her appreciatively before Harry turns to me. He looks as if he's going to say something before his eyes move over my shoulder and his expression grows into an amused smile.

"Oh boy, he really couldn't resist, could he now..." he says.

My brows knit and I twist around to follow his gaze. And behind us, sauntering closer with his hands slipped in his pockets and a goofy grin plastered on his face, is Fred Weasley.

I slap a hand over my mouth and laugh aloud, shaking my head in disbelief. I don't hesitate to slip past Harry and run up, Fred chuckling at my haste.

I crash into his arms in a big hug, his heart-warming laugh filling my ears as he wraps his arms tightly around me. 

"Didn't think I wouldn't see you off now, did you?" he says into the embrace. 

I smile, feeling his hand come up to gently hold the back of my head into his chest. He dips his head to peck the top of mine with a kiss.