h o g w a r t s ' s u r p r i s e

February comes to an end, then March, then April. It seems the year is going by in a hasty blur, offering me a bitter sweet feeling of both excitement for the summer and nerves for my final year. 

The air is getting warmer. I can feel it when I walk to Herbology and can smell the sweet flowers blooming around the castle. Nearly everyone where's short-sleeve shirts and other thin attire now between classes and a majority of our free time is spent outside. 

We celebrate the twins' 18th birthday on the first of April, us and a bunch of the Gryffindors throwing a laid-back party with snacks and games and such... I sometimes forget how popular Fred and George are, and it makes me happy to know how many people care for them. 

Fred pushes for a firework show inside the common room. I hold him back, to his great reluctance. 

As the beginning of May rolls around, students begin to feel giddy about the upcoming summer vacation. We've still got a little while to go, since Hogwarts gets out around mid-June, but I can't help getting excited about it. I continue to daydream about summer days at the Burrow, being completely free of classwork, and making the best of the best memories with my friends... I simply cannot wait.

I'm sitting in the common room during my free period, reading a book on the couch with Hermione when Fred and George arrive in the portrait hole. They look exhausted, the two of them dropping their bags on the floor before approaching us. 

Freddie lazily leans over the couch and plants a light kiss on my check as I look up from my book. 

"Man, you guys look worn," I say, furrowing my brow. The two boys stand before Hermione and I. "What's goin' on?"

"Classes, studying, everything," George groans. "These bloody N.E.W.Ts are coming much faster than we anticipated." 

"And our professors in our N.E.W.T classes are piling on the work, which they say is to prepare us, but it's only making it worse!" Fred complains, throwing up his hands. I frown sympathetically. 

"I'm sorry, boys," I say, closing my book. "But think about it this way: the sooner those exams get here, the sooner you'll be done."

"I suppose you're right..." Fred nods, shoving his hands in his pockets. 

"We could always help you study," Hermione pipes up from the floor. "If you'd like, of course." 

"That's alright," George waves her off. "We won't transfer our loads of stress onto you." 

"I just feel so tired," Fred sighs. I place a comforting hand on his arm over the couch. "I wish there was a way I could stop feeling so anxious, but the nerves are just inevitable." 

"I'm always here, Freddie, if you want to talk," I say gently. "Or if you need a break, y'know, from all the work..."

"We can't break now; we've gotta use every free second we have for studying," George mumbles.

Hermione grins. 

"Who are you two, and what have you done with Fred and George Weasley?" she teases.

"I 'spose we just wanna at least do the best we can before we leave..." Fred shrugs, "I mean, we might regret it if we don't, right?"

"I like that thinking, Freddie," I smile at him. "You guys have got this; it'll be all over soon." 

"Thank Merlin our last Quidditch game is after the exams," George says with a relieved chuckle. "That'd just be too much."

My eyes light up. "Oh! I nearly forgot that that's coming up so soon. Against Ravenclaw, right?"