CHAPTER VIII

CHAPTER EIGHT

'MY COUSIN NOAH'

...

IT WAS VALENTINES DAY

It was also the day I had to attend the Wolfhard's 'valentines barbecue'. I placed my curling iron carefully back into the stand and brushed out my curls. I examined my makeup in the mirror, I decided to go full face — for special occasion of course.

Lucky me, it was a Sunday so my dad was working and wouldn't be able to interrogate me about where I was going. I hopped in my car and typed in his address.

I finally arrived and knocked on the door and through the glass I could see the lanky boy approach the door. "Hey." he greeted me, letting me inside. Finn looked fancier than usual — less like a stoner boy and more like his parent's son. He brung me to the back yard which was, as expected, huge. It was filled with a large built in pool and tables and chairs sheltered umbrellas from the burning sun. "Here." the boy handed me a beer from the icebox. I hesitated a little at first, drinking already and it was only 2pm. Finn took note of the hesitation, "Don't worry my parents don't mind."

Soon enough the garden was pouring with visitors, mainly middle aged men or little children — no one really our own age. Finn sat beside me on the bench, shielding his eyes from the sun. "You didn't have to come, you know." he smirked.

"Eh, I figured it would be fun." I shrugged, taking a sip of the beer. I could feel him staring at me. I turn to him and caught his gaze, "Have you got a crush on me?"

"What? No I-"

"Relax I'm kidding." I chuckled, taking another sip. He rolled his eyes at me and nudged me slightly, in this moment I couldn't help but notice how well we were actually getting on.

"Sadie?" I quickly turned around to see Noah behind me. "Hey, what are you doing here?" he asked with a chuckle. He moved his eyes over to Finn, who had a scowl upon his face. "Ah, I see you know Finn?"

"Yeah she does actually, we both go to Hearst." he said, I could hear the bitterness in his voice.

"Well it's nice to see you here, cousin. And you Sadie." Noah smiled, maybe slightly sarcastically before walking away. Cousin? The plot thickens!

"You know him?" Finn turned to me, raising a brow.

"Yeah I do. We met outside the coffee shop when he accidentally bumped into me, we've hung out a couple of times actually." I told the boy, who seemed to be to busy side-eyeing Noah. "What's the deal with you two anyway?"

"What do you mean?" the raven-haired boy took his eyes off his cousin.

"Please, I could basically feel the sarcasm." I smirked. "I could easily tell you two are rivals."

"Well, Noah's always been that goody-two shoes." he mocked. "You know, the type to always tell tale and shit. That guy has everything: money, cars, a big house, girlfriends, and so on. Everybody loves that guy and my mom always finds ways to compare me to him; saying she wished I was more like Noah, Noah is such a good boy, Noah this, Noah that. Plus the guy has never been my biggest fan, his favourite nickname to call me was 'dirty druggy'. I know you think I'm an asshole, but he is an asshole with an ego as big as Mount Everest, and his charm is the worst part of it." I felt sympathy for Finn when he told me how his mother constantly compared him to Noah.

"I'm sorry that she does that, Finn." I sighed, resting a hand upon his shoulder. He looked at me and smiled. "Don't compare yourself to others, because they're not you." All of a sudden we both burst out laughing. "I'm sorry that was so cheesy." I giggled.

"It really was." he chuckled.

I really liked him.