CHAPTER XVIII

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

'GUILTY'

...

I CLUTCHED MY BAG AND TOOK A DEEP BREATHE

Hell, I wasn't proud of the thing I was about to do, but the guilt began to consume me and it felt like it was driving me mad. I had enough of the drama surrounding relationships, though it wasn't his fault, it had to be done.

I lightly knocked on the front door, which was white and incredibly clean to say it was outdoors. After all, they were rich and probably had somebody who cleaned up for them. After what felt like forever, the front door swung open. "Sadie?" Noah remarked clearly surprised to see me at a late hour with no notice.

The boy gestured for me to come inside but I shook my head. "Noah, I- I can't do this anymore." I took a deep breath to muster up some courage before continuing. "This... isn't going to work, I'm not ready and I'm not ready to be committed. I can't be what you want me to be."

"Sadie..." Noah sighed, "I know you're not ready but I told you, I will wait for you."

"I don't want you to wait. I'm sorry, Noah." I blurted out quickly, before turning my back and walking away. I could hear him calling my name and that only made me pick up my pace, and I kept glancing behind me so ensure he wasn't following me.

"Jesus! Can you watch where you're going?" a female voice snapped as I crashed into someone. "Oh... I'm sorry, Sadie." the voice sounded apologetic and rather familiar. I looked up to see Jenna, with a slight smile on my face.

"I'm sorry..." I apologised, embarrassed. "I wasn't looking where I was going."

"No biggie." Jenna shrugged. "So is that guy your boyfriend?" I raised a brow, clearly looking confused as she continued, "That guy who you were bowling with, is her your boyfriend?"

"Oh, Wyatt? No, we're just friends and he's new to Hearst so I guess I wanted to give him a little showcase of the town." I chuckled awkwardly.

"That's nice..." she trailed off, also looking very awkward. Then her face lit up, "You know, if you guys ever go out again you should tag along with Finn and I! Like a double date."

"So, you and Finn are a thing?" I questioned, trying to sound as polite and genuine as possible, despite her presence making me burn up inside.

"I guess we are." she said smugly. That face, I could just tear it off. "We kissed tonight, and honestly I can see it going further and I know he can too."

"Wow, you're very optimistic." the words left me mouth as sarcastic as ever. Shit. Did I really just say that? I decided to try saving myself, but by the look in her face the damage was clearly already done. "I mean — as in you're hopeful... as you should be of course."

"Right..." the brunette trailed off. "Well, I better get going, I'll see you later!" she waved and smiled a fake smile. I could see right through that girl, and I could tell she was bad news no matter how much of a front she put on. I rolled my eyes and watched her walk away.

Jenna, one. Sadie, zero.