CHAPTER XXXX

CHAPTER FORTY

'FINN WOLFHARD AND HIS SECRETS.'

...

"I WAS WORRIED ABOUT YOU

"I WAS WORRIED ABOUT YOU."

Noah told me as we sipped our milkshakes. We'd made plans to go to a restaurant and hang out, after all it was nice having some company whilst I was in Texas because my mom was sleeping most of the day.

"Honestly, I was worried about me too." I admitted. I thought I was never going to really make it without Jack, especially after my reputation was absolutely destroyed by a certain new girl. My mental health declined dramatically and I couldn't find a way out of the quick sand, I just kept sinking. However, I felt like Texas was a breath of fresh air: I was able to get away from everybody back home (well most people anyway), connect with my mother again, and reconnect with someone who I cared about and I knew really cared about me. Noah was amazing and he seemed flawless, he was certainly a Mary Sue. "I hardly saw Finn last night." I said to the boy as I swirled my straw around my milkshake.

"Me too, I mean, Finn has never really been my biggest fan so I'm not really surprised." Noah shrugged.

"You think he hates you?" I raised a brow.

"No, he doesn't hate me, he's just not fond of me."

"I doubt that..." I reasoned. "There has to be some factor that makes him the way he is, you know, cold?" Noah raised a brow, he knew I knew something personal about Finn and wanted me to tell him. "Well... he told me that his mother, mainly, compares you two A LOT and that you always come out on top." I admitted. Noah's face turned into a look of guilt and he took another sip of his milkshake. "I think that's what's bothering him... and maybe some other things to but I haven't been able to quite unlock those secrets yet."

"I thought you two were fairly close?" the brunette raised a brow.

"We were, until he got a girlfriend." I sighed. Noah raised a brow and edged closer to me with a smirk. "What? No! We were never a thing of course, it's just that, his girlfriend made up some dumb rumour about me because she was jealous and, as expected, he fell for it and hated me — probably still does."

"Finn's vulnerable, especially when it comes to girls." Noah took another sip of his milkshake before continuing, "He'll never admit it, but he's a huge softie inside and he likes to be loved. Did he ever tell you he used to be in a band?"

"A band?"

"Indeed... that kid adored his band members. They were like..." he paused, trying to think of something iconic to reference to, "the three musketeers, but instead of being three there were five."

"So like One Direction?" I chuckled.

"Yes! Yet a little less 'beautiful girls' and more 'beautiful drugs'... they were very alternative." Noah mentioned. "But then they fell apart..." the boy paused for a moment, he looked as if he was trying to figure out how to phrase his next sentence, "The lead singer, he was Finn's partner-in-crime; they were totally inseparable. However, he developed lymphoma — a rare type of cancer which is incredibly hard to treat — and he passed away about a year after being diagnosed... Finn knew it was coming but it didn't ease the pain of the news when he found out. After that, he was never the same again, and he stopped playing guitar and found himself knocking around the wrong crowds."

I sighed and looked down. That was why he was so cold, because he was afraid to love someone — even platonically — because he knew one day he would lose them. It reminded me of my attitude towards life after Jack passed away, I distanced myself from the people I loved because I felt sorry for myself and couldn't bare to love someone because I was afraid I'd lose someone like I lost Jack.

Unlocking Finn Wolfhard and his secrets served as a reality check for me, and I knew what I had to do.