CHAPTER XXXI

CHAPTER THIRTY ONE

'SHE'S BACK.'

...

I TOOK A DEEP BREATHE

"You can leave at any time, okay kiddo?" my dad reassured me, placing a hand upon my shoulder and we waited in the car outside of campus. I nodded and let go of my long awaited sigh before stepping out of my dad's car.

I'd waited until it was half way into second period so I didn't have to encounter anyone in the hallways and I could get to class with no fuss. The emptiness of the campus only made my anxiety grow however. I sighed and clutched my bag tighter as I neared the door to my first class. I stopped when I reached it, and took another deep breathe to try to ease my anxiety. Regret filled me, why did I even agree to come back? After all it wasn't as if anybody liked me — not after the Jenna incident anyway.

My hand neared the door handle and I hesitated. My fingers began to shake as I pressed them against the cold metal and pulled down the handle, opening the door slightly. I pushed it open gently and watched as the once bustling classroom turned silent and each and every face turned look at me. I gulped and made my way into the classroom, finding my seat which was the only available seat in the classroom, located near the back of the class. I slowly passed people as they stared, and some even whispered but no one dared to say a word. I hated it. I hated everybody staring at me as if I was a zoo animal and I felt so distressed and embarrassed. I passed by Sophia's desk, she also was staring. Then by Millie's, then Caleb's, then Finn's. Finn was the only one not staring, he was attempting to avoid eye contact with me but I could see his eyes flicking upwards for a hasty glance at me.

I pulled out my chair and sat down, and the teacher resumed talking again. Despite this, almost everybody's eyes were still completely locked on me and they were all silent. I moved my hair in front of my face and began to attempt to shield my face with my hand, masking the fact that tears had began to roll down my cheek due to the distress I was feeling. It was a mistake coming back to Hearst High and honestly I couldn't wait for it to be over.

The 30 minutes that remained of the English lesson dragged, and it felt as if it had lasted for hours. Everybody was distracted by me, and it didn't matter how hard the teacher tried to get their eyes off me, they couldn't resist. My chest soon felt light again as I heard the bell ring and people began to shuffle out of their seats. I basically thanked god and got up and grabbed my bag. I held my head down as I left the classroom but my teacher, Miss Willis, began to strike a conversation with me.

"Welcome back, Sadie. I hope you're well and I'm so glad you're back in my class." she told me sympathetically, adjusting her glasses. I nodded and smiled, without saying anything since as much as I liked her, I was eager to get out of there. "You know if you ever need anyway to sit at lunch break, my classroom is always open and I'll more than likely be in here." she informed me. I thanked her and she told me to have a good day.

I sighed and opened my locker, just as I was approached by somebody.