Chapter 54: Best-man

It's been a month since the interview, since Iwaizumi last spoke to Oikawa. It's been tough on his accepting the fact he'd just been a winter break fling to Oikawa. And basically right after he went back he started dating that women.

Iwaizumi felt hurt. He felt broken. But he wasn't going to let that bring him down. Yes he cried once or twice in anger and pain but that was about it. He believed "life goes on and people come and go" and Oikawa was one of them.

The day after the interview he knew things were done for and there was no going back this time.

"Dr Iwaizumi?" The nurse called out.

"Yes," Iwaizumi answer as he looked up from the papers on his desk.

"You're needed in room 123" the nurse said as she entered Iwaizumi's office a and handed Iwaizumi blue file. "The patient is complaining about having problems with moving his arm since the elbow replacement."

"Okay," Iwaizumi said taking the file and standing up. "I'll be there in a minute."

The days had started to slow down. It would feel like hours had passed by but just barely an hour would have passed. Iwaizumi had drowned himself in his work. Plus with his promotion coming soon he had been even more busy with work for him to think about the past and feelings.

Finally night came he headed home to his daughter who was there waiting for him to help her with her homework and make dinner.

While making dinner Isuzu asked.

"How's uncle Oikawa?"

Only thing that ached Iwaizumi was when Isuzu would ask about Oikawa he'd just dodge the topic and was about to when Isuzu asked.

"Is it true he's having a baby?"

"Where'd you hear that?" Iwaizumi asked keeping his eye on the simmering pot of beef stew in front of him.

"I heard uncle Makki talking to uncle Oikawa over the phone."

"Isuzu were you-"

"Uncle Makki had uncle Oikawa on speaker while he was packing his stuff before dropping me off." Isuzu explained.

"So is it true?" She asked smiling at Iwaizumi when he glanced back at her.

"Yeah," Iwaizumi swallowed. "He is."

"Wow!" Isuzu exclaimed. "I'll finally have a bestie like you and uncle Oikawa!" She said.

"She or he will be like 8 years younger than me though..." she sighed telling herself.

"I can be like like big sister!" Isuzu exclaimed after a second.

Iwaizumi didn't give much mind to it. He was listening but pretending to not feel anything was what he was aiming for but was failing miserably even though it didn't show on the outside.

"Daddy?" Isuzu asked catching Iwaizumi's attention.

"Yes, Zuzu?" Iwaizumi asked as he picked up the pot from the stove and placed it on the cool marvel counter.

"Why haven't you been talking to uncle Oikawa?" Isuzu asked making Iwaizumi freeze.

"He's busy with volleyball-"

"Still he should at least call you once a week, ya know." Isuzu said pouting. "That way I get to talk to him too."

"He's got a lot to take care off." Iwaizumi said giving Isuzu a fake smile.

"True," Isuzu nodded. "With the baby on the way uncle Oikawa must be busy taking care of his wife-"

"They're not married" Iwaizumi said out loud.

"They're not?" Isuzu asked Iwaizumi making Iwaizumi realize he just said it out loud.

"Uh no."

"Well that's good." Isuzu said as she hopped off the counter.

"I was gonna be pissed if he didn't invite us and got married." Isuzu said as she walked over to the dinning table.

"Hmm.." Iwaizumi let out before he placed the pot's ingredients into a smaller dish.

"Imma ask him if I can be the ring barrel or flower girl." Isuzu asked Iwaizumi and he chose not to answer as he bit his tongue to the very thought of him getting married.

"I like ring barrel more." Isuzu said. "And you can be the best man."

Best-man?

Iwaizumi nearly dropped the dish as he was bringing it to the dinning table.

"Okay, less talking more eating it's already 10pm." Iwaizumi said as he placed the dish on the table. And walked over to the cabinet above the fridge to grab himself a bottle of whiskey.

"Daddy, you've been drinking a lot these days." Isuzu said watching her father pour a glass full of whiskey before adding some ice.

"One glass a night doesn't hurt." Iwaizumi smiled at Isuzu as he placed the bottle back in the cabinet.

"Well I hope it doesn't destroy your insides like mine." She looked down at her empty plate.

"Don't say that kind of stuff." Iwaizumi said angrily. And he noticed Isuzu's eyes were tearing up.

"Hey, Zuzu." Iwaizumi said as he walked over to Isuzu leaving the glass on the counter.

"Come here," Iwaizumi said as he took her into a hug and picked her up from the chair she clung to him like a baby sloth tearing up.

"The doctor said it working, right?" Iwaizumi said. "It's slow but it's working now." He shhed her.

After some crying and promising not to drink tonight Iwaizumi put Isuzu to bed. Sitting on the edge of his bed he smiled his third cigarette of the night before putting it out and heading to bed. Sleeping was hard at first but working extra hours really helped him with his sleep.

___________________

Are you prepared if Oikawa married Ivy?