Chapter 10: Mommy

"So what're your plans for Christmas?" Oikawa asked Iwaizumi.

"I've gotta double shifts so...not much I guess." Iwaizumi replied.

"Daddy no!" Isuzu exclaimed from the back seat. "You promised we would go to the Hakone shrine." She pouted.

"I know Zuzu but daddy's gotta work. I promise I'll take you at night."

"The good food and lights will probably be taken down by the time you come home." She frowned.

"She is right." Oikawa agreed with her making him receive an angry glare from Iwaizumi.

"I'll try to come early-"

"I can take her." Oikawa offered.

"Omg really? You're the best uncle everrrr." Isuzu exclaimed.

"Are you sure?" Iwaizumi glanced at Oikawa.

"Yeah yeah I was thinking of going there myself."

"Okay, I'll meet you there then." Iwaizumi replied.

.....Fast forward.....

"Let's go here!" Isuzu pulled Oikawa's hand.

It was the 25th of December 2020. It was snowing not too much but enough to make the winder cooler than it should be around this time usually.

Oikawa was at the Christmas festival with Isuzu. She's tried almost every food stall there. She definitely had her father's stomach he thought to himself. She was still so skinny though. Probably due to the chemotherapy he thought to himself.

He couldn't imagine what poor Iwaizumi must've gone through first his wife leaving and then Isuzu getting sick. It must've taken a huge toll on him.

Standing at the shrine entrance Oikawa checked his watch. Iwaizumi should be here by now he thought to himself. It was almost 8pm. The wind had started to get colder. And some stalls had already started packing up. So he decided to call Iwaizumi.

ring...ring...ring...this user is unavailable at this time please try later...

"He's not picking up is he?" Isuzu stated more than asked.

"He must be on his way," Oikawa replied.

"I hope so..." she looked at the nearby family of three coming out of the shrine and she frowned.

"I wish mommy hadn't left us." She said her voice breaking.

A tear rolled down her face. Before more started flowing out like a fountain.

"Come here." Oikawa picked her up in his arms and hugged her tightly. And made soothing sounds to calm her down. But she kept weeping and weeping. He patted her head and whispered...

"Hey, at least you have daddy, right?" She rocked her gently. "He loves you so very much."

"I know," she kinda stopped sobbing now. "but he's never there..."

"He has a very hard job and he has to do it to support you." He told her. "I think if it was up to him he'd give everything up for you, you know."

"I don't understand what I did," she hiccuped. "that made mommy leave." And the flood works started again.

"Oh honey, I don't think you did anything wrong." He patted her head. "It's just grown-ups sometimes have problems and have to go their separate ways not to hurt each other more." He tried to put it in as much easy words as he could for her.

"But-but they were so happy before I got sick. It was my fault." She started crying louder than before.

Oikawa started panicking by now and just then he saw Iwaizumi running his way to them.

"What's wrong?" He asked Isuzu willing her tears.

"Nothing." She replied shaking her head.

"Come here." Iwaizumi stretched his arms to take her from Oikawa.

"No" she answered burying her face into Oikawa's shoulder. "I wanna stay with uncle Oikawa."

Iwaizumi looked and Oikawa with a confused look and Oikawa mouthed to him 'tell you later' and Iwaizumi nodded in reply.

"Come on let's go inside," Oikawa told Isuzu. Walking through the entrance all the way to the shrine Iwaizumi was right next to Oikawa. Both walked side by side.

Oikawa put Isuzu down in front of the shrine. And they all clapped hands and made their wishes.

"Can I get a fortune?" Isuzu asked Oikawa.

"Sure, I'll get one too." He replied smiling at her.

He was glad she's stopped crying. But her face still made it obvious she'd been crying due to the redness around her eyes and the slight puffiness of her face.

Before Oikawa could walk after her Iwaizumi stopped him by grabbing his shoulder.

"What happened?" He seemed genuinely scared and hurt at the same time.

"I'll tell you later," Oikawa replied getting a glare from Iwaizumi. "Let's just enjoy our night. Okay?" Oikawa ignored his glare and went after Isuzu.

Iwaizumi stood where he was looking around him he saw a group of people looking at Oikawa and whispering to one another.

He moved a bit closer to hear what they were saying.

"Isn't he Toro Oikawa from the Japan national team?"

"Yeah, he is!"

"Omggg he has a daughter?"

"I didn't know he was even married!"

"Neither did I!"

"Where's his wife??"

Just then Oikawa turned towards Iwaizumi smiling and waved at Iwaizumi to come to him and Isuzu.

The group of people's eyes turned to Iwaizumi in an instant.

_____________________

Well Oikawa is a well known and popular volleyball player from Japan who why not would they stare at him...