Free (Shelby and Toni)

Shelby runs away with the help of Dot after being sent back to Texas post island and bunker. This one shot is their reunion.  TW: Brief mentions of child abuse and homophobia

Toni paces nervously around Martha's room. According to Dot, Shelby is suppose to be arriving today on a Greyhound. Dot has been in constant contact with Toni after Shelby was sent back to her homophobic family, and the three of them plotted her escape. 

"Toni. Come sit. It's going to be okay," Martha sighs, patting the empty space beside her on the bed. 

Toni takes a seat next to her best friend. Martha wraps an arm around her and squeezes. The pair sit in silence for what seems like forever until they hear Martha's mother calling for them. Toni's heart pounds, a thousand scenarios, each one worse than the last, filling her head. They head downstairs and round the corner to the kitchen, and Toni's heart stops. 

There stands her girlfriend, bruises both old and new covering her face, her blonde hair barely touching her shoulders, carrying a duffel bag. The brunette freezes at the site. A whimpered "Toni" has her rushing towards the blonde. Toni pulls her into her arms, holding her tightly. 

"Hey. It's okay. I got you. It's okay, Shelbs," Toni soothes, rubbing Shelby's back. 

"Why don't you two go upstairs, Toni?" Martha's mom suggests. 

"Yeah, okay. Come on, baby," Toni agrees, taking Shelby's bag and guiding her upstairs.

Once in Martha's room, Toni shuts the door and turns to face Shelby. She gently reaches up and strokes her face. 

"Baby, what happened? Who did this to you?" Toni asks. 

"My dad," Shelby whispers.

"That asshole. How dare he?" Toni growls. 

"His conversion therapy didn't work on me, so he decided beating the gay out of me might," Shelby explains, tears filling her eyes. 

"Oh Shelbs. He can't get you now. I won't ever let him lay a hand on you again," Toni promises, kissing the blonde's forehead, "How about we change you into some fresh clothes?" 

Shelby nods, and Toni goes to grab some comfy clothes from Shelby. She grabs a pair of sweatpants and a loose t-shirt from the duffle bag. 

"Up," Toni requests.

Shelby raises her arms and allows Toni to pull off her shirt. She dresses Shelby in a new one, layering one of her old basketball hoodies on top. They do the same with Shelby's pants.

"There you go, princess," Toni says, kissing Shelby's forehead.

"Toni?" Shelby asks quietly.

"Yeah?" Toni replies. 

"Hold me. Please," Shelby begs. 

"Of course. Come here," Toni agrees, laying on her mattress and opening her arms for the blonde. 

Shelby lays beside her, her head resting on Toni's chest. Toni wraps her arms around Shelby tightly, kissing her head.

"I got you, baby. I got you. You're free now," Toni promises.

"I'm free?" Shelby asks in disbelief.

"Yes, baby girl. You're free," Toni replies.

For the first time that day, Shelby smiles. She's so happy to be in Minnesota, far away from her father, safe and sound in Toni's arms. For the first time in her life, she feels completely and totally free.