Don't You Dare Touch Her (Shelby and Toni)

Shoni after the island and Toni defending Shelby from her dad (Prompt by @CriminalSeries ). TW: Homophobia, brief mention or conversion therapy, brief child abuse

Toni holds Shelby's hand in hers the entire plane ride. They have been rescued from Gretchen and her crew's clutches and are on their way to an airport where their families will pick them up. All the others have fallen asleep hours ago, but Shelby just can't manage to do so. She can feel herself shaking. She turned eighteen while in the bunker, so legally her parents have no hold over her, but she is scared of their reaction when she tells them she will not be heading with them back to Texas, but will be going to Minnesota with Toni and Martha. 

"Hey. It's going to be okay. I won't let him try anything," Toni promises.

"I know. I know legally he can't make me come with him, but I'm scared. I don't want to loose my mom or my siblings, but I probably will. He has a strong hold over them," Shelby replies. 

"No matter what happens, I will be by your side," Toni tells the blonde, who's hair has grown so it barely touches her chin.

"Okay. I love you, Toni," Shelby smiles softly, squeezing the fiery brunette's hand. 

"I love you too, baby. Now try to get some rest," Toni replies, pulling up the arm rest that separates the pair and wrapping an arm around the blonde.

Shelby nods, and rests her head on Toni's shoulder. Soon, she falls into a fitful sleep. Toni grabs the blanket they were given and drapes it over them. Toni drifts off to sleep as well, her arm still wrapped protectively around her girlfriend. 

******

"Toni, Shelby," Martha says, shaking the pair awake.

The plane has landed and everyone else has gotten off it. Martha convinced Shelby's parents to let Shelby and Toni sleep for a few more minutes while everyone was reuniting with their family, minus Dot and Fatin, who have plans to head to LA together, but the time has come for Shelby to face her father. 

"I'm up, I'm up," Toni yawns.

"It's time, Toni. Wake Shelby. Her parents are getting impatient. I stalled them as long as I could," Martha explains.

"Okay," Toni says, turning towards Shelby, "Shelby, honey. It's time," 

Shelby groans, but after a few more calls of her name, her eyes open. She frowns worriedly at Toni. 

"I know, baby. We have to though. I promise I'll be there the entire time," Toni swears, getting up and offering a hand.

Shelby takes her hand, allowing Toni to pull her to her feet. Martha, Shelby, and Toni leave the plane. Jobeth Goodking sees her daughter, and pulls her into her arms, kissing her head over and over. Shelby allows her mother to coddle her for a few minutes, before pulling away. She knows she needs to tell them. She takes a deep breathe, and meets her father and mother's gazes.

"I'm gay. I'm gay, and it is not a sin. God loves everybody, regardless of their sexuality. So, yeah I'm gay, dad, and you can't do anything about it," Shelby tells them as Toni watches proudly from where she is standing with Martha and Martha's mother. 

"No. I do not accept this. You are coming home with me, and you are going straight to a Christian camp where they will fix you," Dave Goodkind growls, reaching out to grab her wrist. 

He never gets the chance, however, because Toni comes flying across the tarmac. Despite being much shorter than the man, she pushes him roughly away from her girlfriend and stands in front of her protectively.

"Don't you dare touch her. Your daughter is the most loving person I have ever met, and I love her. Being gay is not a choice, and it is not a sin. She's coming with me to Minnesota where she will be free to live as her authentic self, not some perfect straight princess that you forced her to be,"  Toni tells the man, fire in her eyes. 

"This is nonsense. Honey, tell her. Being gay is a sin. We can save her if she comes back to Texas with us. This girl has clearly messed with her head," Dave says to his wife.

"No," Jobeth mumbles quietly.

"Excuse me?" Dave growls, turning towards his wife. 

"I said no," Jobeth says, raising her voice, "You are horrible towards me, and towards our daughter. I will be filing for divorce. She is my babygirl, and I love her, even if she is gay. I'm done, Dave. We're getting a divorce and I'm taking the kids with me," 

"You're both going to hell. I will pray for you both," he snarls, storming away. 

"Mommy?" Shelby asks, tears in her eyes. 

"Come here, baby," Jobeth says, holding her arms open.

Shelby rushes into them, allowing her mother to hold her tightly. She shushes Shelby, rocking her back and fourth. After a while, Jobeth tilts Shelby's chin up so their eyes meet.

"I love you, Shelby Goodkind, and nothing will ever change that. Now, you can go to Minnesota, but I expect you to continue your education and maybe even go to college, understand?" Jobeth tells her eldest.

"Okay," Shelby nods, "Toni, come here," 

Toni goes to her girlfriend's side, and sticks out her hand.

"Toni Shalifore, ma'am. It's a pleasure to meet you," She says to Jobeth. 

"I take it you're my daughter's girlfriend?" Jobeth asks the brunette, shaking her hand briefly.

"Yes, ma'am," Toni replies. 

"I like you. You defended my baby against my soon to be ex-husband. Shelby, you have a good one here. You take care of each other. You have my blessing to go to Minnesota, but you have to come visit sometimes!" Jobeth tells the girls.

"Okay, we will," Toni agrees, smiling. 

Shelby smiles at Toni and her mother, knowing that this is the start of a new life. A life without fear, without hiding, without faking who she is. A life with her supportive mother and siblings, and no homophobic father. But best of all, a life with her Toni by her side. Forever.