November 2, 2014

The costume department of SHIELD was located in a large warehouse space on campus. The woman helping me with my clothing for the France mission was furiously sketching and making notes on her clipboard.

"What about this?" She had a heavy New York accent. She had told me to call her Rose. Bright, box-dyed red hair gave her an intimidating presence, but she had pretty hazel eyes and freckles across her cheeks like a full night sky.

The sketch she showed me was beautiful. It was a full-length tulle ball gown, white and lilac purple with a deep v-neck cut. It looked flowing and whimsical. She had paired it with a lilac crown that resembled rays of starlight and black heels.

I stared for a moment, "I think it's beautiful. Will it match what Bucky is wearing?"

Rose laughed and gave me a sympathetic smile, "You give him too much credit, dear. He's a man. He's going to wear a boring black tux and be perfectly content with it."

He's still going to look good, though.

I laughed, but she was right. Bucky would likely be wearing a plain tuxedo. I looked again at her sketch. My heart soared for a moment, marveling at how pretty I envisioned the final project.

"Come back this afternoon for a fitting. I'll have it done, and we can make any alterations before you and Agent Barnes leave tomorrow morning." She gave me a kind smile. She was so knowledgeable, and she had impeccable taste.

I nodded to her, "I'll see you this afternoon, Rose."

Bucky met me outside. He was sitting on a bench, leaning against the wall with his arms crossed in front of him. He looked asleep.

He was peaceful and charming with his curls smushed against the concrete wall, legs tucked neatly under the bench, and his arms crossed. I walked over to stand in front of him. I kicked one of his feet, "Look alive, Sarge."

Bucky jolted awake and scowled at me, "What took you so long?" He stood and stretched his arms above his head. His shirt lifted to expose a bit of his abs. My face flushed, so I turned before he could notice.

"There was a lot to go over. Not all of us can throw on a suit and look good," I teased

"You think I look good?" He winked at me.

Arrogant.

My eyes rolled. In public, we really tried to act as though we really are just friends. Sometimes, that didn't work out too well.

"What now, Sarge? We have a whole day in DC before we fly to Lyon." I was excited to be able to spend time with him and escape into a fantasy away from reality, even if just for a moment.

"Well," he sighed, shoving his hands in his pockets and looking around us, "I'm starving, so lunch?"

I nodded, "Sight-seeing after?" I popped an eyebrow at him. I loved visiting the museums and parks in DC.

He smiled and nodded, "Sounds good to me, angel."

We sat outside a small pizza place. The wind was chilly and sent pin pricking goosebumps across my skin. Bucky stood from his chair which sat opposite to mine. He slid his black wool jacket off his shoulders and laid it snugly around mine.

"Bucky, it's cold; you should keep your jacket." I didn't really want him to take it back.

He slipped cooly back into his seat, "Nonsense, doll."

A waitress appeared, frazzled and rushed through the lunch hour business, "Hey, what can I do for you?" She was hurriedly flipping through her notepad, stopping when her eyes raised to Bucky. She smiled and fixed her hair, "Hey, handsome."