July 17, 2015

I woke to the smell of pancakes and bacon. Birds chirped outside, singing sweetly along to their own songs. It was strange to wake up in my cottage. I had never actually slept here before. I'd never experienced the island at the break of dawn.

The gentle morning sun kissed the walls of the cottage with its yellow-orange glow. Bucky's hair was highlighted by that ethereal light. He was standing in the kitchen, washing dishes as bacon sizzled in a pan nearby. There was a stack of pancakes on a plate, and maple syrup sat in a small pitcher.

My heart swelled at the sight. I stepped closer to him, wrapping my arms around him and pressing kisses to his back.

He hummed, "Morning, doll. Hope you're hungry." He turned in my arms and pinched my cheeks with his soapy hands, pulling my lips to his in a kiss.

"I am," I sighed, looking around at what he had been doing. He found a toolbox somewhere; it sat on the kitchen island along with a book. I took it in my hands and felt the soft leather cover between my fingers. Plants and Wildlife of Olympus.

Bucky grinned sheepishly. "I wanted something to read. I hope you don't mind, doll."

He's so cute. "Of course not, my love. This place and everything in it is as much yours as it is mine." I smiled up at his blushing face and pressed kisses to his rosy cheeks.

Something was on his mind. He was a bit anxious, not as badly as he had been the day before, but I was hesitant to touch his thoughts. His eyes watched as I studied him. He huffed a laugh and pressed a kiss to my forehead. He wanted to say something, but he was holding himself back. After a moment, he sighed.

"So," he said warily, "any chance your mom or pops will show up. I don't know if I'm ready to meet the in-laws yet."

"Oh, I'm sure you'll do just fine, darling."

Bucky and I whipped our heads around.

Persephone stood holding a massive bouquet of flowers. She smiled warmly, glowing like the afternoon sun. Her smile seemed to light up the room, and her eyes glittered like the ocean waves catching light. "These are for you, my daughter. A house-warming gift," she breathed.

Shock made its way through my nerves. I stared at her for a moment before blinking away the daze that settled over me. "Thank you, mother," I said as I stepped closer to her and took the bouquet. It was beautiful with deeply purple hyacinths and crocus.

Bucky was staring at her dumbly and unmoving. She held her hand out to him, offering her warm embrace. His eyes were wide, but he took her hand, and she brought him into a hug. "Thank you," she whispered.

His eyebrows pinched together, "For what?" His voice was shaking, trembling with anxiety. I wanted to grab him, assure him it was alright; he was safe.

"For loving my daughter and caring for her. I see your love for her, how pure and beautiful it is. Though you are mortal, you have my blessings for the rest of eternity," she said firmly. Her hands held his shoulders, and though she was my height, her presence filled the room.

Slowly, Bucky nodded and began to smile. "Thank you," he said. "I'll love her for as long as I live."

Persephone grinned, "I know. The Fates have written it."

My heart skipped a beat. The Fates. I walked over to the windowsill and found an empty glass vase. I slipped the bouquet into a rose red stained vase, tall and fluted. They looked beautiful in the window. I wondered if all of Persephone's flowers looked this beautiful.

"Daughter," her voice sang, soft as flower petals. "You understand I cannot stay long. The Olympians watch from afar, but know I love you. Keep working. I feel your memories awakening. They will return to you; I know it."