August 23, 2015

"Come on, babe, let's see it!"

My heart skipped a beat as I looked at myself in the floor length mirror. I smoothed down the sheer fabric and fiddled with the embroidery. Long and ethereal, delicately embroidered with flowers along the bodice. It was lovely. I hoped the girls thought so too.

Hesitantly, I stepped out of the dressing room and smiled softly at my friends as they gasped and clapped their hands together.

"Holy shit, babe!" Natasha exclaimed as she jumped from her seat and ran her fingers down the sides of the dress. "I think this is it. Oh wow, yeah, this is it. Right?" She asked, turning to Pepper and Wanda who were also standing now and admiring the details.

Pepper nodded and smiled wide. "You look so stunning," he breathed as she fluffed the train of the dress. Her eyes glistened, dotting her fingers along her lash line and sniffling. "I'm going to cry already."

Wanda laughed and fixed my hair, letting her eyes take in every detail. She nodded in approval. "This is the best one yet, Stel."

"I think so too," I added, turning before a set of mirrors when Natasha's fingers ghosted along my jawline and brought my head to face her.

She placed a floral veil over me; barely blush pink and dotted with flowers of every kind. I felt like a fairy. A nymph I suppose. This is what those nymphs that dwelled amongst the white Olympic clouds wore. Pastels and florals. Always appearing as a bride.

Anxiety rippled through me as I sighed. I was not like them. I was not an ethereal daughter of one of the twelve, glowing like a pastel sunrise. My divinity was heavy, dark and ghastly as spirits haunting midnight skies.

I felt out of place in this gown. Like an imposter trying to fit in.

Wanda placed her hand on my wrist and smiled at my reflection. "You look beautiful," she mumbled. I felt her thoughts in mine, comforting and unsure of what to say.

"Thank you," I said softly. There were two sides to me. Hades and Persephone. While I was her daughter, plucked from her favorite lily in the Underworld, I did not feel as if I were. Perhaps this dress was a way in which to feel closer to her.

I didn't know. Life was still confusing even with my memories back. But the dress was beautiful, and I knew Steve and Bucky would like it.

Pepper paid for it, claiming it to be her wedding present to me. I laughed at her, knowing it wouldn't be the last thing she bought for me. It was her nature to always buy everything. Sam called her the team's sugar momma.

She looped her arm through mine as the four of us skipped down Parisian sidewalks. Brunch was calling our name, and I felt the draught starting to wear off. I'd need to drink more of the syrup if I hoped to stay anonymous.

Though, I suppose it didn't really matter. Pepper was easily recognizable, and she didn't mind the spotlight. People could spot Nat, and Wanda wasn't well-known. Regardless, if Pepper was seen, we'd be overrun.

I hoped we wouldn't be. I cherished these quiet moments with friends. Just us and round after round of mimosas. Gentle summer sun and cafe terraces.

It would happen. I would will it so.