May 16, 2015

The world rushed past my ears with a blinding array of lights in every color imaginable. I felt as if my heart would leap from my chest, and I'm sure I screamed, but the memories are hazy.

Then, there we were: Asgard.

It was towering and gold, blinding in all of its brilliance. My breath caught in my throat. I took a few shaking steps forward and marveled at the spectacle.

Thor stepped to my side, "My father would like to meet with us before we see Loki." His voice sounded distant, as if he were already preparing for an argument.

I turned towards him and gave a reassuring smile. He looked tired, but Bruce joined his side, and I realized that maybe he was not so worried about my business with Loki but the sweet scientist that looked hopelessly out of place.

Bruce's thoughts teemed with anxiety so palpable my own heart raced, and my vision spun. I pulled my mind away from his and sighed. We would be on Asgard for three days. The longest three days of my life.

Steve and Bucky stood on my other side. I looked over to them. Their eyes were glued to the city's wonder. Their lips were parted, struggling to form any coherent thoughts. I grinned at their confused faces. "You alright boys?" I asked with a tease in my voice.

They huffed and shook their heads. Bucky looked down at me with a smile on his face. "I've seen a lot of shit in my life, but my god." He moved his eyes up to Thor who was staring at Bruce. "Do we get the royal tour?" He laughed.

Thor shook away his distraction and grinned over at Bucky. "Of course, my friend. Only the best has been prepared for your arrival." There was a hint of light returning to his tired voice.

Heimdall had been silently watching us from his post, but he stepped closer to us now. "Your father awaits," he said simply. There was a hint of a smile on his old face. He nodded to us, and we turned back to Thor.

He sighed, and we started across the rainbow bridge.

The palace was just as overwhelming. Guards lined our path as we made our way to where Odin sat on his glittering throne. His face was lined with age and a puffy white beard. He stared at us as we approached, and uneasiness settled in me.

We bowed, and Thor rose to speak. "Father," his voice was booming. "I have returned home."

"So I see," Odin's voice was strong but wavering. "Your brother claims this," he paused, "girl can prove his innocence. What do you say, my son?" He already sounded as if he either did not believe I could or that Loki was guilty.

Thor was silent for a heart beat, but I heard the smile in his voice when he spoke. "Lady Stella is prolific in reading memories. If my brother is innocent, she will know." His words assured me, and I felt a surge of confidence wash over me.

"Very well," Odin breathed. "You know where Loki is."

And with that, we were dismissed. Guards took our belongings to our rooms, and we followed Thor down a maze of staircases and through bright corridors until we reached the final descent into the dungeon of cells.

It was dimly lit inside, and I held onto Bucky for support as Thor guided our way.

The jail was as I remember it from Thor's thoughts. Each cell was lined with a golden forcefield, shimmering and transparent.

Loki was to our immediate left, lounging on a bench and tossing something in the air. He did not turn to look at us, but I knew he knew we were there.

I swallowed down my anxiety and stepped to the front of the group. He smiled up at the ceiling. "My savior," he teased. His eyes turned to me then with his grey blue eyes. They seemed less life-like than in his library. More sadness and desperation behind his cynicism.