June 30, 2014

I don't remember the car ride home.

My memories are just whispers of moments.

I think Bucky and I stayed on that balcony for another half hour or so, watching the city below us. I remember thinking how handsome he was with his metal arm resting over my shoulders. My head was glued to his chest, and his thumb massaged circles into the back of my skull. I think I fell asleep against him.

I remember looking up and suddenly seeing the night sky glow above me. Bucky was carrying me down the sidewalk. The lights bounced off his metal arm and it twinkled like the stars overhead. His eyelashes were dusted by a light mist of rain that had started, and his hair had become so curly.

I woke up in the passenger seat, and Bucky was playing quiet music. The seat warmers were on, and Bucky had found the blanket I kept in my back seat and wrapped it around me. His right hand rested on my knee, his metal hand on the steering wheel. He hummed lowly to whatever song it was on the radio. His voice was a low rumble, like the thunder that rolled in the distance. He glanced over to me when I shifted in my seat. He flashed me a smile, "Go back to sleep, doll. We're almost home."

It was pitch black in my room when I woke up next. Bucky was laying me in my bed, his arms still wrapped around me. He placed his hand on my hairline and breathed against my skin, "Happy birthday, Stel."

The door shut silently as he left, and I heard Steve on the other side.

"Do you want another drink?"

Bucky was beside me at the bar. We were standing with the rest of the team at my surprise party, Clint and Nat were eyeing Bucky and I, Tony and Bruce debated the maximum capacity of the floor, Thor laughed at their bickering, and Steve kept exchanging glances with Bucky. I had drifted off with thoughts of the night before, trying to determine if I needed to apologize to Bucky or not.

"Sure. Can you order me what you did last night?"

Bucky smiled at me, "Which one, doll?"

Good question, I probably owed him an apology, "The first one, the pink and orange one."

He turned to the girl working the bar, "The birthday girl will have a vodka sunrise."

She winked at him, "Coming right up." I watched her leave, but felt Bucky's eyes on me. I turned to thank him, but I saw Nat roll her eyes, "So, Stella, anything interesting happen while we were gone?"

I blinked at her and pretended to think, "Uh, not really. Just Bucky moving to the compound.

Her eyes narrowed, "That's all?" I knew where she was going with this, but she was crazy if she thought I would confess I had a crush in front of the man.

I took a deep breath and turned away, "Yep."

The bartender returned quickly with my drink. She set it down in front of Bucky, "Here you go, handsome."

Bucky smiled a thanks and turned to me. His eyes held a glimmer of annoyance as he handed me my drink, "It's loud; do you want to go outside?"

I nodded and called out the rest of the team, "Hey, we're going outside if anyone wants to come."

Steve flashed the group a look that I'm certain he thinks I didn't see.

Bruce gave me a gentle smile, "In a little bit."

I shrugged and Bucky guided me outside. The air was crisp, and the balcony was filled with people. We found a spot in the corner railing, and Bucky crowded against me to avoid bumping into people. We stared out into the open field below us. The compound was a fortress surrounded by fields and forests. It was like a castle with a moat, a luxurious prison.