December 2, 2014

The quinjet echoed with the sound of hail pelting the metal and glass roof.

Thor had been called to Asgard for business, and Clint and Natasha were away on SHIELD business.

Tony sat behind the control of the jet. Bucky and I sat next to each other on one side, and Steve and Sharon sat on the other. Sam busied himself with weapons while Bruce fiddled with first aid kits and equipment.

The tension was palpable. I looked everywhere except at Sharon. Bucky's dog tags were burning against my skin.

She had split us up.

Claiming it was because we were missing three team members.

Stella will run ground support. Tony and Sam will run aerial support. Bruce will stay in the quinjet, and Steve, Bucky, and I will infiltrate the facility. She had said it with a smile on her face.

I wanted to kill her.

Anger boiled inside me yet again. I stood, needing to occupy myself with something else. I moved to look in the weapons storage units with Sam.

He was checking guns and ammunition. I rifled through them, not really looking or caring about what I had in front of me. "You alright, starlight?" His voice was loud.

I nodded, not really answering him.

"I like the new fit," he winked. "Looks good on you." I knew he wanted to get a rise from Bucky. His eyes glanced behind me to where he was sitting. I couldn't see his face, but I saw Sharon's eyes dart to Bucky as well.

"Thanks, Sam," I muttered and continued picking up random objects.

Tony swiveled from the controls, "We're approaching, get ready to rock and roll." He stood, stretching and noticing the tension that had grown behind him.

Awkwardly, he moved to stand behind me. He leaned into my ear, "Is it just me, or is it hot in here?"

I huffed a laugh, "Shut up, Tony." I threw my cape over my shoulders.

The quinjet whirred lower to the ground. We were here, just outside of a Hydra facility. Sharon stood, beckoning us closer. I wanted to break her fingers.

"As stated before, my boys and I will infiltrate the compound. Everyone else will watch our backs. Any questions?" Her voice infuriated me.

Bucky leaned forward, "Explain to me again why it's acceptable for Stella to be alone on the ground while three of us enter the facility?"

"James, I've already explained it," she chided. "Stella received top marks on her evaluation, so if she's as powerful as she claims to be, it should be a walk in the park for her."

Bucky's knuckles turned white as he gripped the center console. His eyes bore into Sharon's head. Steve cleared his throat, "Stel, if you need anything, just call."

I nodded, not ready to let Sharon win, "I'll be fine."

We landed, carefully departing the quinjet. My boots crunched in the hard snowfall that caked the earth. The evening sun kissed my skin as it began dipping below the horizon. The air was sharp as it hit my lungs, ice cold and dry

Bucky's hand gripped my wrist, and he tore out his comms device so nobody else could hear him whisper, "I love you," against my temple. He disappeared before I could reply, weaving between pine trees to stalk through the woods with Steve and Sharon.

My heart skipped a beat, and I slapped the button for my helmet. I watched as their three green heat signatures disappeared further off into the woods. Dozens more emerged from the compound.