May 17, 2015

"Did you really have to interrupt my bath to tell me the name of that creep who gave you the scepter?" I asked as I appeared in Loki's library.

"Ah," he hummed. "Good to see you too, witch."

I sat across from him in my usual spot. "I started reading the book you loaned me," I said.

"Have you tried making any potions?" He asked without looking up at me. There was genuine curiosity in his voice.

"Not yet," I admitted. "It's a bit intimidating."

Finally, Loki looked up at my face. "You shouldn't be," he said. "Try making a simple healing draught. They're not complicated." He was being strangely non-confrontational.

My eyes narrowed to him, "What's wrong with you?"

He laughed and looked away from me with a roll of his eyes. "I don't know what you mean." He turned back to his book with a huff.

I leaned back in my chair and continued to study him. "You seem like you're in a good mood."

"Am I not usually?" He questioned.

"No. You're not."

He laughed again, genuine and kind. "Perhaps I am optimistic of my chances of freedom," he admitted.

"Do you really think Odin will let you out?" I asked.

Loki shrugged. He didn't respond for a while, and I thought he never would. But eventually, he clicked his tongue. "I do not know if I will ever truly be free, but," he sighed, "anything is better than being in the confines of my own mind for the rest of my lifetime."

I nodded, unsure how to respond or comfort him. He'd probably chastise me for any attempt anyways, so I stayed silent.

The fire flickered gently in the dim light of the library, illuminating the bookshelves in a golden glow. I sighed, "Loki, can I ask you something?" My voice trembled a bit.

He hummed, "Sure, darling."

"You said before that I would be good at potion making," I began. "Why?"

His eyes glanced at me, a small smile tugging at his lips. "It was just something I observed. Nothing more." My gut told me that was not the case, but I said nothing.

"Will you help me unlock my memories?"

"Do you want your memories unlocked?"

I paused, "maybe."

He smiled. "You need to figure that out first."

Anxiety rippled through me. I shifted in my seat, and stared at Loki. "Are we friends?" I asked.

His expression waved with surprise. He lifted his eyes to me once more. "You're too stupid to be my friend," he said simply, but I heard the distinct tone of admiration behind his lie.

I smiled, "I suppose you're too bitter to be mine."

A huff escaped his lips. "Perhaps after I train you some, you'll be less idiotic." He glanced at me yet again, but tore his eyes away when I caught him.

Loki was incomprehensible to me. His mood swings and games never made sense to me. I simply laughed and stood from the couch.

I felt his eyes follow me as I inspected his bookshelves again as I did every visit. "So this The Other, do you think he's after you right now?" I asked.

"Perhaps," he said listlessly. "But I am on Asgard, and I do not think he is so stupid as to come here."

"What about when you're no longer on Asgard?"