July 16, 2014

I hummed, letting the ice cold lemonade wash away the summer heat. The sun was scorching today, and the air was still. My lungs burned from the dry air.

The boys were playing football off in the field, sweaty and yelling at each other. I shielded my eyes, watching them fly across the field as the sun blinded me.

Bucky tackled Thor. They tumbled to the ground, and dust flew up in great puffs around them. Bucky hopped up, and I admired the way his lips pulled into an arrogant smirk. I didn't understand football, but Bucky's team was apparently winning.

His hand combed away his sweaty hair that stuck to his forehead. Steve called for a break, and the boys jogged over to the patio.

I smiled at them, pushing the lemonade pitcher closer to the edge of the table so they could reach it easier. Bucky took a glass, and I felt his eyes on me as I stretched in my lawn chair.

"Enjoying the show, doll?" He asked teasingly.

My face burned. I blamed it on the heat. "You mean the lot of you tripping over each other and getting disgustingly dirty?"

He smirked and downed all of his lemonade before taking his shirt off and wiping away the sweat that soaked his skin.

I turned away. My mind raced with thoughts of Bucky asking to kiss me in the training room. It had felt like a dream. Embarrassment blossomed in my chest, and I couldn't look at any of the other boys as they gave me sly looks and jogged back off to the field.

Thor lingered behind for a moment. "Lady Stella," he said cautiously. "My team could use your help. If you'd like to join our match?"

I stared at him for a moment. Sunlight dazzled in his golden hair, sparkling and forming a halo around him. "I," my voice was hoarse, "I don't know how to play."

He laughed, crinkling his eyes and offering a hand to me. "Just take the ball from one side of the field to the other. It's simple, your grace."

My eyes turned back to the boys on the field. It was Steve, Bucky, and Sam against Thor and Clint. I shivered and hesitantly took Thor's hand. He smiled triumphantly. "Lady Stella is joining my fight!"

I sighed. This was a mistake. Sam scoffed, "You're a god, what do you need another teammate for?"

"I don't think I'll be much help," I retorted. I had never played football before. It felt strange in my hands, too big and clumsy to hold comfortably.

My feet were not as quick as the other's. Clint passed the ball to me, and suddenly, I was overwhelmed with the pushing and grabbing of two super soldiers and a falcon.

I screamed and quickly threw the ball away from me and towards Thor's waiting hands. The other team followed, leaving me behind in a cloud of dirt.

The game continued like that for a while before I managed to get the hang of it.

I stood away from the jostling of the boys. Instead, I hid on the far side of the field, near our zone. Thor grinned and threw the ball in my direction, sending it flying straight into my arms.

This would be an easy point. But I was wrong. Bucky was quickly gaining on me. My smaller legs couldn't carry me fast enough away from him.

His arms wrapped around me, and we tumbled into the grass. I yelped, holding the ball tight against my chest as I twisted in Bucky's arms. He laughed as his hands grasped at me.

The others approached, and soon there was a dog pile fight for the ball. I don't know how to play football, but I know this isn't legal.

I cheated, using my magic to hold onto the ball. The boys noticed the blue haze surrounding me and screamed in protest.

Arms lifted me off the ground and held me like a caught rabbit. I stared up at Steve, grinning and still holding onto the ball.

Sam and Bucky stood in front of me with amused smiles and crossed arms. "This isn't how you play football, doll."

"You shitheads tackled her," Clint fought back.

I laughed, "Yeah, what he said!"

Steve set me down on the ground. He smiled at me, shaking his head in mock annoyance. "Let's call it even and eat some damn lunch." I looked up to the sky. The sun was much higher now, beating down on us with intensity.

My throat burned from the dry air, and my hairline was soaked. I looked around at the boys. They were slick with sweat, and their chests heaved from exhaustion.

Bucky's arm landed on my shoulder. My eyes must have grown to the size of bowling balls with the way Steve grinned at me.

He was dripping with sweat and dirt, pulling against his damp sides. "Not bad, doll," he remarked with that arrogant voice of his.

"You're disgusting," I said as I shoved him away from me.

He laughed, loud and joyous. "Oh," there was mischief in his voice. "I am?" He asked, and fast as lightning, he scooped me into his arms.

I screamed with protest. It was too warm, he was too soaked with salty sweat. My skin burned like the sun when he held me close and twirled me around.

He let go, and I stumbled away from him. "Bucky," I whined. I was teeming with embarrassment and annoyance. I had to make him pay.

The other boys were past us now, crowding inside in a loud huddle. My eyes glared at him, blinking away the harsh sunlight.

He was smirking. Light glimmered in his fair eyes, and the faintest whisper of a challenge passed through them. I frowned, stepping closer to him as he backed away. He seemed amused with this game of our's. "And what are you going to do, doll?"

Men topple over easier than women do. Their center of balance isn't as low. I swept my magic towards him in a big arch, pushing against his stomach and sending him stumbling backwards. His eyes were wide with surprise, and just before he collapsed, I held his wrist up with my magic.

He stared at me with an eyebrow raised. His eyes were still as wide as moons. I smiled. "Don't play games with me, Sarge. I don't like to lose." I dropped his wrist and let him hit the earth.

Before he could retaliate, I spun on my heel and skipped up the steps inside.

The boys were quiet when I entered. Small smiles adorned their dirty faces. Sam was stuffing his mouth with a sandwich. "You kick his ass?" He asked with cheeks full of bread.

I smiled, taking a triangle of a sandwich from Thor. "He deserved it."

"I did not," Bucky came in huffing. He was covered in dirt and frowning at me. I laughed, watching him wash his face in the sink.

He was handsome, even with the sweat and grime caked onto him. His eyes were dark with vengeance. His hair was swept into clumped curls that stuck to his face. He sucked his teeth, taking my sandwich from my hand and popping the rest into his mouth.

My jaw opened as I stared at his growing smirk. "You two are ridiculous," Steve sighed.

"Can you just fuck already," Clint said.

I slapped his arm roughly. "Shut up," I threatened him.

"You'd better listen," Bucky said. "She packs a mean punch." He winked at me, licking his lips. He walked past me and up to the rooms.

I hated him, but he was hot. My heart was hammering, and my brain was muddled with conflicted emotions. I sighed and stole another sandwich from a plate. "I'm going to shower, try not to miss me so much."

The boys laughed, jeering with each other and making snide comments. I ignored them, rolling my eyes. Boys.