May 8, 2015

"So what are these?" I asked. My finger hovered over a brown vial of some black liquid.

Loki slapped my hand away, standing too close for my liking as I inspected his potion bottles. I frowned at him and took a step back.

He huffed. "Don't worry about these yet; I haven't even taught you anything about potions." His eyes were careful as they watched me, as if he was always analyzing something.

My eyes rolled, "You actually haven't taught me anything yet." I turned away from him and looked at some books on his shelves. I didn't recognize the language. I wondered if Steve or Bucky could.

His footsteps echoed behind me, following my movements. "Well I'm not out of prison yet, stupid girl." He was always so bitter.

"I'm not stupid," I replied.

He laughed, "Yes, you are." Again, he stepped too close to me, crowding me against a shelf and reaching above my head.

I winced at the proximity, but he stepped away again and simply handed me a book. "Here," he said. "Take this with you when you leave."

It was heavy in my hands with a leather bound spine and weathered pages. They crinkled under my touch, and I was afraid they'd rip. I looked back at Loki.

He was watching my face, the smallest hint of a smile tugging at his lips. "Something to stave off your harping curiosity," he sighed. "It's in English, translated from texts written by witches centuries ago." He walked past me and settled in his usual chair.

I joined him. "This book will come with me when I wake up?" I asked.

Loki shook his head and sighed. "You really are so stupid. Yes, of course it will go with you. Why else would I tell you to take it if it wouldn't?" He leaned back and let his feet rest on the coffee table.

My eyebrows pinched together. "Why are you so mean if you want my help?" I clutched the book tight to my chest, fearful he would take it back.

But he only laughed. "Because you need my help as much as I need yours," he said frankly.

"There's no other witch that can help you pull out your memories?" I asked.

He sighed. "Well, Odin has forbidden any family members from helping me for fear of bias, so," he sucked his teeth and stared at me, "no, there is nobody else to help me."

Our eyes locked for a moment, and if I hadn't been looking so hard, I would have missed the humanity in him, burning bright as a star.

I smiled and looked away from him. "Thor says we can go to Asgard soon, and I can look through your memories," I said.

He hummed, "You and all your mortal friends?" I swore there was a hint of hope in his voice.

"I think so," I said listlessly. "I know Steve and Bucky are coming."

"Who?" He asked. "Oh," mischief dripped from his voice. "Those boyfriends you were having issues with. Tell me, why do you let them own you if you are infinitely more powerful than them?"

My eyes narrowed at him. "They don't own me. I'm not their property." I sighed and rolled my eyes, watching the quiet flames in the hearth. "I don't think you know how relationships work, Loki."

He shrugged, "I see your thoughts. They always tell you what to do, control you in some way. Isn't it exhausting?" He asked with a smirk.

"No," I said simply. "I like being told what to do."

That smirk held his features as he stared at me, "Noted."

I shivered and didn't look at him. "Can you not act like this when the rest of the team is here?" I nearly pleaded.