February 14, 2015

Sunlight streamed through the linen curtains by my bedside. My eyes blinked open in the harsh light. I turned around, seeking Buck's warmth, but he wasn't there.

My hand patted his side of the bed, and my thoughts reached out to find him. He wasn't anywhere near me. My heart raced a bit as adrenaline rushed through my blood.

I sat up in bed, and my heart nearly stopped at the sight.

Dozens and dozens of red roses adorned the surfaces of mine and Bucky's room. Breakfast waited for me on the coffee table, still warm and beautifully displayed. There was a fruit bowl, pancakes, bacon, and hash browns with a sunny side up egg. There was a note next to the pancakes.

Slowly, I stood from the bed and sat at the coffee table. My fingers undid the wax seal on the note.

To my dearly beloved,

Happy Valentine's day, my love.

In the bathroom, there is something for you to wear today. I hope you like it. I think you'll look beautiful in it.

Take your time getting ready, but meet me for lunch at noon in Bear Mountain. I left directions in your car.

Wear sneakers, but bring heels to change into. We have dinner reservations tonight.

I love you so much.

я тебя люблю.

Yours always,

Bucky

I took out my phone and texted him, "You're so cute. I love you too, Sarge." He didn't respond, probably too preoccupied with whatever he was doing.

From the compound, Bear Mountain was about an hour drive, so I had about two hours to get ready. I stretched and ate the breakfast Bucky had made while admiring the beautiful flowers.

My stomach did a backflip. In the bathroom, there is something for you to wear. He bought me a dress for today.

I peeked my head into the bathroom. Hanging on the back of the door was a black garment bag with Chanel printed on the front.

My fingers touched the bag, and more roses caught my eyes. There was another note attached to the vase they were sitting in.

Stella,

From the day I met you, I knew I wanted you in my life for as long as I draw breath.

When I see you, "my desire and will are moved — like a wheel revolving uniformly — by the love that moves the sun and other stars."

You are so incredibly important to me, and words will never be enough to describe how much I love you.

I will see you soon, my love,

Bucky

A few tears streamed down my face. My skin was hot, burning despite the cool February air outside. I turned towards the garment bag and undid the zipper.

Inside was a beautiful baby pink dress. The material was tweed, woven with a cute cream white in places. It was a short dress. Of course Bucky would have picked it.

Immediately, I knew what I would wear with it.

I fixed my hair into big curls that hugged my shoulders and framed my face. I delicately placed a white headband behind my ears, satisfied with the cute 70s hairstyle.

My makeup was simple, blush, pink lipgloss, mascara. I felt pretty. But my fingers trembled a bit as I took the dress out of it's bag.

It was really pretty. I slipped it on, admiring myself in the mirror. I looked like I was going to a disco, and I had the perfect shoes to match. From the closet, I dug out a pair of creamy white Steve Madden disco boots. They matched perfectly with the dress and my headband.