1. Alone

Song recommendation: SVT - hug
Minji POV

"You've been here for how long? What? Almost two years and this is all you can do?" the trainer asked as she sat down on the floor, probably because my group and I were looking at the ground.

We have our monthly evaluation next Friday, and we've been practicing until 3 a.m. to perfect this group choreography, but hearing these words from our trainer made me realize that it's still not enough.

"And you, Minji?" she asked. "Hasn't the CEO already warned you that if you don't improve after two months, you'll be fired?" the trainer questioned.

"Yes," I replied quietly, trying to keep my tears at bay.

"See, and this is what you're going to show them? If today is the monthly evaluation, you're already done here," she said, and I simply nodded.

Then there was a long silence that devoured us.

"You're dismissed. I'll check your group choreography on Wednesday. Be prepared," announced by the trainer as she stands up and walks towards the door. While bowing, we thanked her and apologized.

We collapsed on the floor as soon as she left. We went to the corner and cried. Some of my colleagues consoled them. I'm startled to feel a hand on my right shoulder.

"Don't worry. You'll do well next week," Heekyung said, smiling, but I could tell she's in pain behind that pretty smile.

I tap her on the back and smile back.

"Come on, guys," our leader Jimin said.

We congregated in the corner of the room, where two of my colleagues are crying. We sat, and for a few seconds, only my members' sobbing could be heard echoing throughout the studio.

"I know we had a rough evaluation from our dance trainer today, but we must take those words as encouragement to do better next time so it doesn't happen again," Jimin said, and we all nodded.

"All right, get ready for our vocal lessons; we'll practice again after our other classes," she announced before standing up.

~~~~~
With sadness in my heart, I sang the final note. I took a deep breath and wiped the tears that had escaped my eyes while I was trying to hold them back. Fortunately, our trainer was not looking.
*Think of Chaewon's voice from IZ*ONE*

"Yeah, Minji. You sound good there," he said, making me feel relieved.

"Thank you, Saem (Korean for teacher)," I replied with a smile.

"You hit those notes with emotions so easily, I can feel the sadness there, did something happen?" he asked as he leaned forward, clasped his hands, and placed them on his table.

"Uhm, we didn't do so well on our group choreography earlier," I admitted, looking down.

In Source Music Entertainment, our vocal coach was the friendliest. He frequently asked about our situation and validated our feelings.

"I see, but from what I've seen, you're going to nail the vocal evaluation," he encouraged.

"I'm hoping, Saem; this is my only chance to stay," I said, my voice worried.

"No, don't say that. You'll have more chances, just believe in yourself, okay? I know this won't bring you comfort, but I trust you," he said with a genuine smile.

"Thank you, Saem," I replied, smiling back.

I exited the room and sat in the chair. I took out my water from my bag and drink it. Jimin appeared and sat down next to me.