3. Jealousy

Minji POV

I opened my eyes and stared at the ceiling for a few seconds before deciding to get up. My body becomes painful as soon as I begin to move. My body is aching from yesterday's practice.

I sat on my bed and massaged my shoulder and neck in the hopes of alleviating some of the pain, but it didn't work. I went to my bathroom and sat on the toilet bowl. After that, I looked in the mirror, and my eyes are still closed. My hair is all over the place, and my face is puffy.

I groaned at how ugly I was, then grabbed my toothbrush to start fixing myself. I emerged from the bathroom, rubbing my hair with a towel. I dried my hair and went about my morning routine. I didn't put on make-up because it's Sunday and I don't have any practice or meetings today. It's a slow day.

I bought a plain pastel orange oversize shirt and black jogging pants. I sat back down on my bed and sighed deeply. I reached for my phone, which was still charging on my table. I checked my kakao and my sns and found nothing noteworthy or urgent.

Since it's still 9:30 a.m., I decided to go downstairs for some breakfast. I looked around the living room, and there was no one there.

"Oh, you're awake. Good morning," Gilja said as she approached me with a rug in her hand.

"Good morning, has Eomma already left?" I asked.

"Yes," she replied, "she didn't even eat much earlier because she said she's on a diet." Only 'oh' comes to mind.

"Do you want some breakfast? I'll prepare it for you," Gilja offered as she cleaned the living room table.

"No, you're too busy; I'll get something for myself; don't worry about me," I assured, smiling.

"You sure? Okay then, if you need anything, just ask," she said, and I nodded before heading to the kitchen.

I looked around the kitchen, trying to think of something to eat. After a few moments, I decided to eat toast today. When I looked in our refrigerators for the ingredients, I realized we didn't have any cheese.

"How come we don't have any cheese in this big house with a big fridge?" I murmured as I looked around the fridge.

I went into the living room to ask about any cheese that Gilja might have stored somewhere.

"Ahjumma, do we have any cheese? I looked in the fridge and we don't have any," I asked.

"Oh really? I'll get some tomorrow when I go grocery shopping," she replied as she turned her head to look at me, and I nodded.

"Well, then, just leave out the cheese," she said as she resumed wiping the vase.

"But I want cheese on my toast; I'll just get some at the convenience store," I said as I went to my room to retrieve my wallet and phone, but I couldn't find my wallet anywhere.

I checked my bag and the clothes I wore yesterday, but it wasn't there. I deliberated and remembered that I had unconsciously placed my wallet in my locker. Perhaps I left it there.

I went down after looking for a spare bus card, putting on a black mask, and wearing my white socks.

"Ahjumma, I forgot my wallet at work; I'll go get it, okay?" I said as I ran towards the door.

"OK, be careful," she half-yelled. I put on my white sneakers and left the house.

~~~~~
Song recommendation: Heize - Can you see my heart

When I arrived at the company, there were fewer people than usual. It's my first time visiting on a Sunday, which is mostly everyone's day off.

I greeted the staff I saw on my way to my locker.

"Annyeonghaseyo," I said to a member of the staff.

"Oh, Minji, why are you here on a Sunday?" she asked.

"I left my wallet in my locker," I carefully explained politely.

"Ahh okay, I thought you were going to practice today as well," she made clear.

"Wait, is someone practicing today?" I asked, because in my two years of training here, I had assumed that no trainee was practicing even on our day off.

"Yeah, I believe she's one of your teammates," she replied.

"Oh really? Okay. Thank you. I'll get going now." I said, bowed down. I'm curious who that is.

I went to my locker first, and I was correct. It is here. I grabbed it and checked to see if anything was missing; thankfully, everything was present. I inserted my spare bus card and proceeded to our practice room.

I approached our studio and looked in the mirror on the door to see who it was. It's Jimin practising. I'm curious why she's practising alone.

She saw me through the mirror as I slowly opened the door. When I got in, she turned around panting. She went to her computer and disabled the sound.

"Minji! Why are you here?" she asked, wiping away her sweat.

"I forgot my wallet in my locker and just came to get it; why are you practicing today?" I asked.

"Oh, uhh. To get better," she stuttered before drinking her water. She sat against the wall.

"Are you nervous, too?" I asked as I took a seat next to her.

"Of course. That's a stupid question, Minji," she replied, laughing slightly.

"Even though I'm your leader, I'm no different than you guys. I'm a trainee too, eager to make my debut. I had always been scared, just like right now," she added, looking at the other wall parallel to us.

"I never thought of you that way; you're always there for us when we're down, and you always act strong and positive," I said, looking down at my feet.

"To be honest, I lied to you yesterday. My vocal lesson didn't go well, and it hasn't gone well for a month. I'm just saying it's okay so you guys don't worry about me," she said, forcing a smile.

"You can always talk to me, to us," I reassured her as I tapped her back.

"At the very least, you have good news about your training; I wonder when I will do better in my training?" she wondered. Jimin is.. envy?

I got up and brushed my buttocks. I extended my hand to her, and she observed it.

"What is that for?" she asked.

"Come on, let's go get some healing," I suggested.

She stood up and refused to take my hand. She returned to the computer and played the song once more.

"Eonnie?" I asked because I'm puzzled right now.

"I'm sorry, but I can't accept your offer right now because I need to practice," she said solemnly.

"But you need to get some fresh air because you're really stressed right now," I tried to persuade.

"Minji, I just told you what I've been going through; don't you understand what I've said?" She looked at me, irritated.

"I got it all, but I'm just trying to help you someho-"

"Just because I told you about my situation doesn't mean you owe me anything," she stated emphatically. Her eyes are extremely red and wet.

"But," I was about to say, but I'm afraid it'll make matters worse.

"You should leave me alone for now, Minji. I need to focus," she says as she returns her gaze to the computer.

She played the song again, went to the center of the studio, and began dancing. I slowly walk to the door and exit.