15. Where it all started

Song Recommendation: Ben - leave me

Minji POV

After finishing my lunch, I made my way to the bench. Haneul is working on a group project, and I already completed it, so I'll have to entertain myself for the time being.

I sat down on a bench and examined the graffiti on the wall. It's great that this school encourages self-expression. They even built a freedom wall in this area.

I drank my banana milk, but I realized I hadn't given Haneul's. I opened one and was about to drink it when I noticed someone a few benches away. I squint to see, and it's Jihoon.

I approached him and sat beside him. He looked at me, puzzled.

"Why are you surprised?" I asked as I sipped my milk.

"I thought I was alone," he said as he examined the graffiti.

"Oh, do you want to be alone?" I asked.

"No, no, it's okay. It would be rude of me to make you leave," he defended.

No one is speaking between us, we're just staring at the graffiti. He's not usually quiet, I remembered. When I look at him, I can see his entire side profile.

"Wah. What a jawline," I exclaimed.

"What?" he asked. Did I just express my thoughts?

"I mean, do you usually get this sentimental?" I explained. Thank you, God.

"Oh. Uh. Yeah, sometimes I just need some peace," he replied.

"You're always so loud; I can hear your voice even when I'm on your floor," I joked.

"That's not true!" he insisted.

"Do you hear what I'm hearing?" I asked.

"No"

"I thought so," I teased, holding back a laugh.

I looked at him again, and he was still quiet. There is definitely something going on inside his head.

"So, what are you thinking right now?" I asked, my gaze fixed on him.

"Nothing," he said flatly.

"I know you're thinking about something; tell me what it is." He sighed and looked at me for a second before returning his attention to the graffiti.

"We didn't do well on our individual evaluation, and I felt bad for myself as well as the others," he said, frustrated.

"Ahh, so that's what you're thinking; tell me more," I said, feeling the same emotions he does as a trainee.

"We really tried our best, but it felt like we didn't, and since we're Team A, everyone expects us to do well because we're the one who's about to make our debut," he said, looking at his hands.

"However, because of what we did last Friday, it felt like we let them down," he added.

"Sometimes, I wonder if I chose the right path because everyone around me is already good and yet they can't debut; I'm not even close to their level, so what makes me?" he added, his eyes glistening.

"I feel like I belonged to the least talented people, and I don't even have anything special in me to make myself stand out," he explained.

He lowered his head and rested his elbows on his knees. I can see his tears falling suddenly.

"Jihoon," I said, unsure whether I should touch his back.

"I even defended this path to my Eomma; we fought many times because she wants me to stop; after all, this field is so difficult," he sobbed.

"But I can't think of any field where I can show the best version of myself, and even if I wanted to, I can't go back," he says, breaking down further.

I chose to console him. I stroked and caressed his back. I remained silent and let him cry it all out.

He calmed down after a few minutes, and we're both back to staring at the graffiti. No one has spoken in the last 5 minutes.

"Jihoon, I'm not sure if I can help you, but I believe in you; I know we haven't known each other for very long, but I know you're very passionate about your dream, and I think that's enough reason for me to believe in you," I said as we stared at each other.

"And I think you should do it as well. You said this is the only field where you can make the most of yourself? Then do it. Show them. You haven't shown them what you can do yet," I said, and he just stared at me.

I turned around and grabbed the other banana milk. I know it's Haneul's, but please accept my apologies.

I offered it to Jihoon, who just looked at it. I reached for his hand and put the milk in it.

"You said you like banana milk; here, I hope it can help you in some way," I said, smiling at him, but he didn't move an inch.

"Yeah, Jihoon," I replied.

"Oh yeah, right, thanks," he said quickly. He poked the lid and drank it quickly. He was suddenly choked.

"Yah! Jihoon! Drink it slowly," I said, tapping his back.

I was about to give him water when I remembered he choked on milk. That was so stupid of me.

I took his left hand in mine and began massaging the area between his thumb and index finger. He then looked at my face.

"Ah, our maid taught me this. When I choke or have a stomachache, she always massages this part. She says it helps. For me, it does; I hope it works for you." I continued to massage it.

"Yeah, what are you guys doing there?" a voice asked. Bomin and Sanha are standing behind me.

We couldn't say anything because what did they expect us to say? Because he choked, I'm massaging his hand.

"Yah! What's the matter with you two?" Sanha teased as he approached us.

I quickly released Jihoon's hand, and we both fell silent.

Jihoon stuttered, "W-we were just talking." Because of this, they will be more suspicious.

"While holding hands? Yep! Totally normal," Sanha exclaimed, laughing out loud.

"Y-yah, let's go. We'll be late. Minji, we'll go first," Jihoon said, dragging Sanha and Bomin behind him.

"Oh, sure, see you later," I stuttered. Why am I stuttering at all?

"Later? Why? Do you have a date later?" exclaimed Sanha.

"Will you shut up?" Jihoon asked.

"Jihoon, we should walk to our room holding hands because that's totally normal for friends," Sanha said in aegyo.