51. Whatever it takes

Song recommendation: Seo Eunkwang - Why'd you leave me

Minji POV

The next day, school was nothing but a blurry memory. My mind was not present and my focus the whole time was all over the place. Of course, Haneul noticed this but I lied and told her that I'm just tired.

Jihoon also noticed it and I honestly wanted to tell him but compare to Jimin's case, this is something much worse. Not only one person could lose their job, even my friend.

I arrived at the company after school while thinking how should I face Heekyung? Should I just act as if I saw nothing or should I tell her about it? The thing is, I don't know if she's being forced to do that or not, but knowing her for two years, I lean more on the possibility that she's being forced.

I'm so sceptical and conscious about my surroundings because I might run into Heekyung or our Vocal coach. After getting changed, I went to our studio and they're already stretching. I saw Heekyung is talking with Mina and she's smiling like nothing is happening to her.

"Oh, Minji! You're here!" Heekyung noticed me and ran unto me. What should I do? What should I say?

"Yah, why you look shocked? Are you okay?" She asked as soon as she hugged my left arm.

"I'm fine. The school didn't went well, that's all." I excused.

"You should take care of your health. Anyway, Mina and I planned to buy some hotteok in the new restaurant nearby. Do you want to come with us? Minji?" Heekyung asked me and my mind was a mess.

"Oh, uh. I'm sorry, I think I need to rest." I refused.

"That's sad. It's okay, your health is more important. You can eat it next time anyway."

The practice began and I did my best to focus on my training. Nothing is gonna happen if I keep worrying about it. It'll only make me all over the place. I have to do better this monthly evaluation.

From time to time, I took glimpses on Heekyung when we were on break or resting for a bit. I managed to control my focus though I failed many times, at least, I didn't cause any delay today. Our training ended.

After we rest for a bit while drinking water, we got changed and clean the studio. We doubled check everything before we left. I checked my phone and it's 8 pm. We got out of the company and my eyes are still on Heekyung. I'm still contemplating if I should tell her or not.

"Yah, Minji. You're zoning out again. Are you really okay? Should I take you home?" Heekyung suddenly went beside me which made me startled because I didn't notice her.

"I'm fine. I'm just tired, don't worry about me." I answered while laughing nervously.

"Okay. If you say so. We'll leave now, okay? Be careful." She said as she started jogging towards Mina.

"Heekyung, wait. Can we talk for a minute?" I said.

Shoot! Why did I say that? What's wrong with me? My body is moving on its own. I'm literally slapping myself inside me.

Heekyung said yes and told Mina to wait. We went to the other side of the company's building which made Heekyung obviously sense something wrong.

"Something wrong, Minji?" Heekyung asked.

"I-I don't how to say this and I'm sorry, Heekyung." I stuttered. "I saw you making out with our Vocal coach last night." I said and I didn't have the courage to look at her eyes.

She didn't say anything.

"What about it?" She asked and it triggered me.

"What about it? Why are you doing that? You know that it's wrong." I said. I can feel that I'm starting to yell.

"I know! I know... but I have no choice. I have to." She justified.

"Is he forcing you? Why do you have to do that? Is he threatening you?" I fired the questions that were circling in my head.

"More like bribing." She clarified which made me double think about her answer.

Heekyung told me that we all knew that among our team, she's the least possible to debut because of her progress. Her recent evaluations made her think that she'll get kick out soon if she didn't improve as soon as possible.

Our vocal coach was  pretty aware of this and took advantage of it. Heekyung said that he offered her that if she follows all he wants, he'll make sure that she will stay. Heekyung is frustrated, anxious and depressed about herself which made her desperate to do anything to stay. That's why she accepted the offer. That was also why she was picked to be the new leader instead of Hyejin.

"Heekyung, you don't have to do this. This is wrong, I believe there's another way for you to stay." I tried to convince her as I held her hands. She started crying.

"No!" She yelled as she threw my hands away. "There's no other way, Minji! I'm not talented, beautiful, sexy or have something special to be in here. I have nothing. This is all I have so I can achieve my dream." She explained while crying.

"Heekyung. There's no dream that is fulfilling when it's from the wrong doings."

"Minji, what do you even know? You're pretty, sexy, and have a beautiful voice. You don't know how much insecure I am, you don't know much I have to suffer just to get in where I am right now."

"Sure, I'm pathetic. I'll accept that, but I can't accept to leave after all I did to keep my place here. I want to be an idol, I want to debut. I'll do any for that to happen, for my dream, whatever it takes..."

Silence.

I contemplated a lot about what she said. Yes, I do feel bad for her because of the situation she has, but what kind of friend am I if I tolerate this action? Letting her sounds like I'm a good friend, but the truth is, if I did that; I'll be no better than Jimin. I care for Heekyung, she's been there when things went dark for me. Her well being is much important for me than being called the good friend for letting her.

"I'm sorry, Heekyung. I have to report this. You're drowned by your own greed, other people took advantage of your vulnerability and you're letting them! I have to save you. I'm sorry." I said as I turned my back to walk away but Heekyung suddenly grabbed my ankle while she's kneeling.

"Heekyung! What are you doing? Get up." I exclaimed as I tried to pull her up.

"Please, Minji. Please, don't. I'll be kick out if you report this." She begged while crying.

"Heekyung, you won't. I'll talk to our manager that you didn't do anything so they wouldn't kick you out." I assured.

"Do you think they'll still accept me?! Minji, I'm not virgin anymore! Once they discovered that I did have sex with him, they'll eventually kick me out." She explained which made me taken aback.

What should I do?