Evolve

After dinner Fury explains what he was able to find out on Ultron. His fixation on nuclear weapons and his plan for global destruction. We all listen from different parts of the kitchen and living room.

Once Fury finishes Natasha is the first to speak, "Well it was good times boss, but I was kind of hoping when I saw you, you'd have more than that."

"I do. I have you." None of us are very impressed with Fury's statement but he continues. "Back in the day, I had eyes everywhere. Ears, everywhere else. You kids had all the tech you could dream up. Here we all are back on earth, with nothing but our wit and our will to save the world. Ultron says the Avengers are the only thing between him and his mission. And whether or not he admits it, his mission is global destruction. All this, laid in a grave." Fury looks around at us all, "So stand. Outwit the platinum bastard."

"Steve doesn't like that kind of talk." Natasha says with a coy smile.

"You know what Romanoff." Steve starts but before Steve can say anything more Fury gets us back on track.

"So what does he want?" Fury asks.

Steve answers. "To become better. Better than us. He keeps building bodies."

"Person bodies." Tony interjects. "The human form is inefficient. Biologically speaking, we're outmoded. But he keeps coming back to it."

"When you two programmed him to protect the human race you amazingly failed." Natasha added.

Banner speaks up, "They don't need to be protected. They need to evolve. Ultron's going to evolve."

"How he's a machine?" I ask.

Banner looks deathly serious, "Has anyone been in contact with Helen Cho?"

Roger looks around at us all, "Suit up."

We are divided into groups, I'm with Stark.

"Come on Feathers, we are going to the Nexus." Stark says as he walks out of the house.

"Are you ever going to stop calling me that?" I call after him.

"No. I don't think I will." Stark takes off and I fly after.

The Nexus is...boring. Stark is at some screens typing things.

"A hacker faster than Ultron? He could be anywhere and if this is the center of everything,  I'm just a guy looking for a needle in the world's biggest haystack." A small group of people listen to Stark as he works.

One of the girls speaks up looking intently at the screen. "How do you find it?"

"Pretty simple. You bring a magnet." He sighs, "I'm decrypting nuclear codes and you don't want me to." He says in a sing song way.

"Is that the best plan Stark?"  I shift my feet, keeping my wings tucked in is becoming increasingly more uncomfortable the longer they are out.

He looks over briefly, "Yep! Come and get me."

By the time we get back to Starks lab where banner is waiting I'm anxious. Stark stops my pacing. "Feathers, you're going to break more of my lab go take a walk or something."

I raise my hands in defeat, "Fine, fine. I'll go find something or another to break elsewhere." Stark sighs but he doesn't stop me. I wander around different floors, not breaking anything but anxious. Natasha is missing, any attempt to help Barton got me shooed away. I can't help in the lab. What am I supposed to do?

Large crashing and the sound of fighting comes from the direction of the lab and I sprint up to see what in the hell is going on. Crashing into the lab only to see whatever was in the chamber alive.

Stark what have you done?