Shot through the heart

"How have we never heard about this?" Sam asks.

"It should have been on my radar years ago." I add.

"Because before I was able to complete my work, I turned to dust. Then when I returned it was five years later, the program had been abandoned. So I came here. The power broker was more than happy to fund the recreation of my work." Nagel explains.

"How many vials did you make?" Sam asks.

"Twenty." Nagel answers.

"Karli Morgenthau stole those, so. I can only imagine what the power broker has planned for that poor girl." Nagel continues.

"Where's Karli now?" Sam asks.

"I don't know where she is. But a couple of days ago, she called and asked if I could help someone named Donya Madani. Poor woman has tuberculosis. Typical of overpopulation in displacement camps like that." Nagel says matter of factly.

"What happened to her?" Sam questions further.

"Not my pig. Not my farm." Nagel shrugs.

"Is there any serum in this lab?" Bucky asks.

Nagel glares but Bucky puts the gun back up to his temple. "No." He says.

"Now what?" Bucky asks lowering the gun.

Sharon runs down. "Guys we are seriously out of time here."

Zemo pulls out a gun and shoots Nagel in the chest.

"No!" Sam yells wrestling the gun from Zemo.

" What did you do?" Sharon asks.

I nudge the body with the toe of my boots. He's dead, dead. Shot through the heart.

An explosion sends us all flying to the ground. We all groan as we try and get up, an alarm blaring and a dangerous rattling filling the lab.

"Anyone see Zemo?" Sam asks.

"No." I grunt, "But we need to get out of here."

Bucky helps us to our feet, "Let's go!"

Not long after we make it out does the lab explode.

"All right wait for my signal." Bucky says but the firing has already started. "Damn it."

Sam goes one way and Bucky goes another. I pull my wings out doing the best to shield us as we fire back.

"And you like living here?" Sam shouts out.

"It's not terrible." Sharon answers.

"I thought we were going left?" Bucky yells ducking behind cover.

"You went the wrong way!" Sam yells back

"I was clearing the way!" Bucky says.

"I came out first. You had to follow me." Sam says.

"And where are we now?" Bucky shouts back sarcastically.

"Guys not the time!" Sharon and I both yell.

"It's in every action movie!" Sam yells as they still argue.

"Shut up!" I yell.

A big explosion behind us silences us all and we begin to run out through the containers. As we get fired at I use my wings to shield Bucky and myself while Sharon and Sam duck in a container.

Bucky picks up a pipe and knocks one guy out before launching it into the shoulder of a girl who was firing at us.

"Nice shot." I say. Bucky shrugs.

Sam pulls us into the container and Bucky busts out the other side as Zemo pulls a car to a stop in front of us.

"Supercharged." He says with a smile.

"You're going back to jail." Sam responds.

"Do you want to find Karli or not?" Zemo ask.

"He's right. We need him. And there's 3 of us and at least 20 of them. Come on." Bucky says getting in the front seat.

I fold my wings in and hop in the back.

"Fine. But if you try that shit again." Sam warns.

"I wouldn't dream of it." Zemo replies.

Sharon shuts the car door in front of her. "Well that was one hell of a reunion."

"Come back to the states with us." Sam tells her.

"I told you. I cant. Just get me that pardon you promised me." Sharon says before walking away.

"Thanks for everything." Sam calls after her. "You're not gonna move your seat up, are you?" Sam asks Bucky.

"No." Bucky says bluntly.

We are climbing up the stairs to the plane when I collapse forward and everything goes black.