Vet

There was only so much the military medics could do for me when we had regrouped. Not very many people are trained on how to treat a broken wing. One of the nurses even made a quip under his breath about how they should just take me to a vet that handles birds. They end up giving me pain killers and wrapping my wing close to back, trying to keep it as still as possible for now.

The air is thick with tension when I walk into the room where Sam and Bucky were waiting. "The GRC is conducting raids to try and find Karli, but so far they've only found her followers. They've searched this camp, and just like the last camp, nothing. She's gone. We'll never find her."

Torres walks up to the three of us, "Oh hey, you got your sleeve back." He gestures to Bucky who just turns and starts to walk away without a word.

"Are you off to take care of Zemo?" Sam asks.

"Bucky...." I say softly and he at least turns back to look at me softly shaking his head before walking out.

"All right, good to know you survived." Torres says sarcastically.

"What's our next steps, Torres?" Sam asks him.

"Captain America killing a foreign national in public, it's kinda a big deal. Like international incident big. Folks, uh, higher up on the payroll are all over it now. So unfortunately...." Torres trails off.

"They're taking jurisdiction." Sam finishes for him.

"Yeah." Torres then notices the wings, "What happened to these?" He picks up the bag and lifts it on the table where Sam is sitting.

"So is there anything we can do?" Sam asks.

"Not really. As you can see they've cordoned off the whole camp, and Karli's a ghost. After what went down she is laying extra low. Like under-underground." Torres doesn't take his eyes off the wings.

"That's why it makes sense for us to get involved. The longer we let her regroup the harder it's gonna be to find her." Sam continues.

"She's got people helping her all over the world, on all platforms. She's really, really good at this thing." Torres says.

"Yeah." Sam quietly agrees.

"How'd these break?" Torres asks. Sam just sighs so Torres continues, "Anyway, all we can do now is sit tight and just chill. Sometimes, there's nothing to do until there's something to do."

"That's bizarrely wise." Sam let's out a light chuckle.

Torres returns it. "Well, I'm a bizarrely wise man, Sam."

"Yeah alright." After a second Sam picks up the shield. "Thanks Torres."

"For sure." Torres calls after Sam "Wait, yo, you forgot the wings."

"Keep em." Sam says.

Torres turns to me, "So. I heard we are taking you to a vet?"

I shake my head, chuckling, and walk past him briefly putting a hand on his shoulder, "No."

I make my way after Sam. Bucky didn't want me to follow after him so for now I will just lay low until I can get my wing looked at.