Chapter 2

"So change of plans" I say, coming down the stairs in a nice dress, struggling to get the zipper all the way up. "I forgot that I have dinner scheduled with my family so I need to take off like... 20 minutes ago." I check an invisible watch on my wrist. My dress is flowy with a three quarter length sleeve, and top that cinches right under my breasts to mask my thicker curves, meaty thighs, and flabby arms. The skirt is pleated and made of chiffon so it sways as I walk and hangs down to mid calf. I had slipped on a pair of biker shorts under it to avoid chub rub and to prepare for a possible skirt blowing up Marilyn Monroe style.

I've always been self conscious about my weight and haven't always liked how my clothes look on me in the mirror. I've tried dieting and exercising but let's face it, it just sucks. I mind what I eat and I'll choose to take the stairs over the elevator when it's reasonable, but my doctors say I'm within normal limits, so I'm not too worried about it.

"You're going to leave me here alone?" He asks skeptically, walking over to where I stand with a slight limp and gestures for me to turn around. The clothes I picked for him fit a little snugly and his muscles are on display through the material as well as his bare skin where the t-shirt and shorts end. His hero costume is neatly folded and stacked next to the couch, the metal gauntlets and neck accessory have been cleaned of soot and blood.

"You're not going to find anything I wouldn't want you to find. I have really good hiding spots." I shrug, doing what he silently asked. His big hands push my hair aside and over my shoulder, grabbing the zipper and slowly pull it up tooth by tooth, lingering at the top where his fingers touch my bare back.

"You've got a lot of tattoos" he observes, studying the whorls of dark purple 'smoke' that climb up my spine and twist through the eyes of a skull at the base of my neck.

"Yeah, they're addicting" I giggle, looking at my almost fully covered arms. "I actually have an appointment for a thigh piece tomorrow" I pat my leg where the art will be going tomorrow.

"Do they all mean something?" He asks, scanning me as I turn back around and adjust my still damp hair behind me.

"The big pieces do for sure. The connecting tattoos that make the art flow, less so, but pieces of them represent things or people I love." I reply "I would love to go over every little piece, but I'm already so late. The food should be here soon. It's already paid for. Whatever you don't eat, just put in the fridge. If you get tired, the sofas pull out into king sized beds. Sheets are in this closet." I go over to what looks like part of the wall and push, popping open a secret door.

"How long will you be? I don't want to be trapped in here bored all night" He scoffs, crossing his arms and wincing slightly at the twinge in his injury. Part of me wonders if he just doesn't want to be alone.

"Depends. It's either like ten minutes or all night. It's all based on how quickly one of us gets mad enough to say something hurtful that makes another person walk away. My dad's pretty pissed right now so it could go either way. I'll either say something wrong to make it worse and it'll end abruptly or he'll spend hours yelling at me. It'll be a fun night"

"Why is he mad?"

"Because his only daughter ran into the middle of a confrontation and saved a hero's life."

"He's mad that you helped someone? I mean sure it was stupid and dangerous if you don't have any training but you got away without a scratch."

"He won't see it that way. I really need to go." I grab my laptop bag that has my wallet and access card in it and shuffle to the elevator to put on a pair of heels that compliment the dress from the shoe rack near it. "There are books upstairs if you're a reader and the TV is really a projector controlled by the two remotes on the coffee table. White one pulls the screen up and down as well as turns the thing on, black one works just like a TV remote. See ya later!"