Chapter 17

I pace back and forth in the entryway, not really knowing what to do with myself. Sitting at the dinning room table, I get out my laptop and start to write the final chapters that are due soon. The hours melt away under my fingers as I type and before I know it, I've written the rest of the book and the sun is rising.

"Oh" I say to no one in the empty apartment. I get my phone from the kitchen counter and check my work email, stretching and cracking my back as it loads. The publisher wants to meet tomorrow so I commit to spending the day there. I can always go to the bar from the publisher and leave my laptop in the office. After the emails I check my texts.

Dad
I see that he's out. Thank you.

I'm not sure how he knew, but I wouldn't put it past him to pay Danny for information about my life. I don't bother to respond.

Bakugo
You did snoop. But you also dusted the model planes so I guess I'll let it go.

Bakugo
These shirts really are awful. They're so bright, they're practically glowing.

Bakugo
You still alive over there? Or did you blow up another body part?

Bakugo
That was uncalled for. Sorry.

Bakugo
Are you okay?

The last text was sent a few hours ago. I smile at the insecurity that seems to be radiating through the texts.

Y/n
Keep your pretty shirt on, I'm alive. Got sucked into work. Finally made that one part fit and finished the book.

Bakugo
Well done. Are you celebrating today?

Y/n
Probably just sleeping.

Bakugo
It's morning. You should be waking up, not going to sleep.

Y/n
Was up late finishing the book.

Bakugo
How late?

Y/n
I'm still awake.

Bakugo
Go to bed. I'll see you tomorrow.

I texted him a couple more times, but the stubborn hero didn't answer any of them. Probably for the best, I am pretty tired. Knowing that the bedding is clean, I shower off the long day of writing and dry off before getting in between the sheets. I slept a little bit on Bakugo yesterday but since the last time I really slept was before he was in my apartment, it doesn't take long for me to fall deep asleep.

——————

My alarm clock on my bedside table goes off Friday morning and I sit up with a groan. I guess I was tired enough to skip all of Thursday and by the looks of my bed, I barely moved. The foggy feeling of too much sleep carries me down the stairs in my robe. I forgot to plug in my phone and it sits dead on the kitchen counter as I brew a large pot of coffee. I remedy the issue by connecting my phone to the charger that Bakugo's phone used to be on.

Blearily my hands find a large cup to pour my coffee into and I sip it while the heat and caffeine clear the fog from my head. I brace myself for the day of meetings and editing I have ahead of me. I'll use the company printers while I'm there to print the rough draft of my book so I can make physical notes on the pages to edit electronically later. Sending the pages in will just show the publisher that I have them done but I still have two weeks before my final draft is due and the editors will take a look at it to make any notes of changes that need to be made.

By the time I've finished the cup, my phone dings, letting me know it's charged enough to retrieve all my missed messages over the last twenty four hours. When I pick it up, I see the cute picture of Bakugo in the short shorts and it makes me smile as I unlock it.