Chapter 38

"You can't do that" Karen sneers "you're under contract."

"Maybe use your big ears and listen for once. I'm buying myself out. It's clearly stated on the last page of the legally binding paper I signed years ago." I shoot back

Karen looks over to the HR member and she shrugs "She might be right. I wasn't working here when she signed, but a lot of authors have that option in their deals."

I stand and start to walk toward the door. Des follows and Karen blocks my path.

"Please get out of my way" I say as calmly as I can with the last bit of patience I can muster.

"We're not done with our meeting."

"Yes we are. I no longer work here and you keeping me from leaving is wrongful imprisonment."

"If you don't work here, then you're trespassing." She gets her phone out and starts dialing. "Yes, we have a trespasser on the premises that needs to be removed and charged..... yes her name is y/n l/n and she's in the top level conference room..... she is being detained until you guys can get here.... Thank you." She hangs up.

"You don't even know what you just did" I mumble, getting my phone out to call Bakugo so he doesn't show up. I have a feeling that Karen is going to be ... incinerated if he shows up. I also don't want to make the situation worse by turning her to stone. Since she's standing in the doorway, I would still have to move her and I don't want her to twist my actions and say I attacked her or laid my hands on her to get around her.

Before I can dial, Karen snatches my phone out of my hand and throws it into the wall behind her, smashing it. "Your funeral." I sit back down while the HR rep, who I found out is named Carol, tries to calm Karen down and just let me out of the room.

"Is that a threat?" Karen shouts "How DARE you!" I just sit calmly and stare her down.

Des is practically giddy when the elevator dings and the too familiar figures of pro hero Red Riot and Dynamight step into view of the glass conference room wall.

"Oh HELL yeah" Des flops down in a chair next to Trevor who has a snack that he shares with Des.

"So uh, heard there was a disturbance" Bakugo says as he steps around Karen with an eat shit grin

"Don't start" I shoot back, getting to my feet.

"I told you to call" he teases.

"She doesn't call me either when she does fun things" Des adds

"That's so rude" Bakugo replies to her

"That's what I told her!" Des is absolutely delighted and I've only seen her smile this widely while talking to Trevor.

"I'm not sure what's going on here but the bestie routine needs to stop right now." I warn both of them and look to Kirishima and plead with my eyes to get him to interfere

"What seems to be the problem?" Krishima helps me out, staying behind Karen to keep us all in the same room.

"I hope you can remain impartial even though it's your girlfriend breaking the law" Karen snaps at Bakugo.

Bakugo winks at me. "Seems like you can't stay out of trouble these days" he teases

"Now is really not the time, Katsuki" I stare at him and let him see the annoyance on my face.

"Alright. So it seems like you're trespassing?" Bakugo asks, schooling his face into perfect professionalism.

I explain what happened and Des is giggling with Trevor the whole time. I whip my head around to her "Would you get it together?" I snap, very frustrated with the whole situation.