Memories

A bit of everyone's past...

•••
Little Emma was running across the garden, looking at every single flower. "Look, this one's called poison ivy! It seems cool!" Emma smiled and was about to touch it. "Emma don't!" Norman stopped her. It was a few years after Norman had moved from the beach. At that time, Norman, Emma and Ray weren't all friends. Ray had hung out more with Anna because their parents were companions. But even though Ray knew who Emma was at the time, she was annoying to him. Norman on the other hand was always with Emma because before Emma's Mother died, Emma's Mother told him something...

It was the day Emma's Mother lay in bed in the hospital. Emma had went to check on her, and since she was showing Norman around, he came too. "Mama..." Emma cried, while climbing up the bed. Her Mother looked at her tiny hands and her even smaller eyes. "Lets take a photo shall we... ?" Her Mother proposed. She picked up a camera and snapped all of them. Then she cried and looked at the photo. "Lets take a photo one last time..." She whispered, looking at the photo. "Mama don't cry! You'll get better in no time and we'll all go play in the park. Or go to the theaters in Goldy Pond..." Emma assured her. "I even brought my friend Norman, and he says it will be okay." She continued. Then her Mother coughed severely. "I'll get you water!" Emma said leaving. "Norman, you..." Emma's Mother said in a hoarse voice. Norman looked up at Emma's Mother."Stay by Emma's side, always. Protect her and keep that smile on her face and love her...that's the least you can do... do it please for me." Emma's  Mother whispered, and then she closed her eyes and the  Electrocardiographic machine started beeping, her heart beat had stopped.

At the funeral, Emma had cried so much. She didn't know what death was. But Norman knew, he always wanted to keep Emma happy.