Chapter 48

Ebony's POV:

Feather and I had walked for what seemed like miles. This forest was old; the trees groaned as they swayed in the crisp wind, and their branches had grown out towards the ground. Looking up, I could see only an ocean of green, with occasional sunshine peeking through the leaves. 

"This forest will probably end soon," Feather spoke, trying to break the silence. He was lucky he had all those feathers to shield him from the cold wind.

"Yeah.. maybe," I replied. I looked to the side, catching a glimpse of a squirrel climbing a tree. "The wildlife here is plentiful" 

"Tons of food," Feather purred, smiling. Suddenly he looked at me with bright eyes. "Hey Ebony, race ya!" He chirped. He then sprinted off into the forest.

"Hey!" I called out. I began running after him, the wind brushing against my scales. It felt refreshing. We were finally having a break from all that chaos. No more Killer or Cilo to worry about. I breathed in the scent of oaks and pines as I ran. 

Then I stumbled, my breath not wanting to come out. I gasped for air. 

"Ebony!" Feather screeched. He turned and ran back to me. "I'm sorry, Ebony! I forgot about this stupid thing..."

"It's fine," I managed to choke out, my eyes closing. I tried catching my breath. Feather brushed his soft tail against me. 

"It's alright, Ebony. Try to breathe," Feather soothed. "You're strong, I know you can withstand this." He stayed close to me, the scent of fear wavering off of him.

After a few minutes, I managed to gain my breath back. I wanted to claw at myself for feeling so stupid and weak. With my stupid breathing problem, how can I fight Killer or Cilo? I would die! I slammed my tail into the ground. "I think its getting worse, Feather. At some point, this will kill me."

"D-don't say that!" Feather gasped. "You can't die, not after everything we've been through! We've made it this far together. We've fought Killer and Cilo, and we've still managed to stay alive. Come on Ebony, you're not gonna let a simple cough kill you, are you?" Feather growled, lashing his tail.

"It's not just a simple cough!" I hissed. "This is a serious problem, Feather. You're just denying that to make me feel better, aren't you?" I questioned.

Feather looked down at the ground, his four eyes focusing on his talons. "I.... I just want you to live! Do it for me, Ebony. I can't lose you. I've lost Fear and I don't want to feel that pain again!" He cried, his talons scraping at the dirt.

"Oh.. Feather," I sighed. I wrapped my arms around him, embracing him in a hug. "I want to stay alive for you, but.. with this cough.. I.." 

A few moments of silence passed when I'd trailed off. I couldn't really say anything to Feather. I knew I might would die soon, but I didn't know how to encourage Feather that everything would be ok.

Feather curled his lip. "It's Killer's fault you're like this. If he hadn't of come to that forest, then we would've been able to escape the fire much quicker. I just hope we can find him again and kill him."

"I want him dead too, but it wont be that simple. Killer is way bigger than us. Maybe if we had more help, we could take him down, but for now.. I'm not sure, especially with my breathing problem."

"Maybe we can go to the humans and see if they can help you!" Feather insisted, looking at me with bright eyes.

"Do you really think they're going to help me?" I questioned. "If I remember correctly, I've killed some people, so I'm probably on their target list."

"Ok.. then turning to humans isn't an option," Feather sighed. "What do we do..?" He  questioned.

"Well looks like we'll have to face it on our own," I said. I turned from Feather, lifting my tail. "Lets continue to walk through this forest, Feather."

Doctor Henry Wu's Lab:

"Are you sure you want to release that creature into the wild? The last time you did that, there-"

"Shut up!" Wu snapped, his face red. "This creature will take down my other hybrid. Just the swing of his tail into the perfect Indoraptor's throat will do the trick." 

The other scientist looked at him, but didn't say anything. "What will you do if that creature suddenly turns against us?" He asked.

"Be quiet or I'll get my new hybrid to slash your throat," Wu growled. He walked angrily down the hall, his footsteps echoing around him. I'll show them all! 

Wu finally reached the paddock room. He pressed the button on the panel and the door began to slowly open. He could already hear the thud of the creature's footsteps as it came to the door. Wu walked forward and stood before his creation, a large smirk plastered onto his face. He reached out a hand to the 20ft tall hybrid. 

"My creature.. you will be set free and pursue something," Wu whispered. He took a small vile from his pocket, a vile that contained the blood from the perfect Indoraptor. When it was once in this paddock, he had taken some of its blood. That came in handy.

The hybrid got a sniff of the blood and lifted his head, roaring. 

"That's it, my creature!" Wu cried. He lifted his hands. "You will kill this creature, got it? You've smelled that delicious blood, now go out and get some more of it!" Wu screamed. He slammed his fist onto a large red button, and the large door that the hybrid could go out of began to open.

Stegarnozin roared and turned. It ran towards the exit, the thick skin on its body rippling with each booming step.

Wu stood back, watching his creation run into the wild. He then threw his head back and began to laugh like some kind of villain.

988 words

Reminder: Stegarnozin is composed of a Carnotaurus, a Stegosaurus, a dog, and a Therizinosaurus