Chapter 12

Ebony's POV:

I couldn't afford to take care of all three of these baby hybrids, but I took care of all three of them amyways. The Avinychus was a nice hybrid, equipped with sharp teeth, a powerful jaw, long, sharp claws, powerful back legs, and gliding. 

I parted my jaws, fear and confusion striking through me as I thought I could smell Blue's scent. Was that annoying raptor here with its owner? No, it couldn't be. I turned to the baby hybrids, moving them under me. If that raptor was here, then I'd need to protect them. I glanced around, sniffing the air. 

"Mommy, I'm hungry!" Feather, the avinychus, whimpered. She lifted her feathery tail. Her brother, Fear, the albino terror, grabbed her tail and pummeled it with his hind legs like a cat. Cilo, the velocilo, sat back, watching, his eyes narrowed. 

"Ow, quit it!" Feather growled, turning on her brother, her class raised. Fear rolled clear and leaped on his sister. 

I watched them proudly. They were all hybrids like me. I crouched by Cilo. "Aren't you going to play with them?" I asked.

"No, I'm not wasting my time," Cilo growled, wrapping his tail closer to himself. He lifted his chin.

I then heard a hiss. I lifted my head sharply, pulling the baby hybrids closer. "What's wrong?" Feather asked.

Hiss! Blue leaped from the bushes, Owen behind her. Blue's tail lashed. I then noticed two other raptors flanking her. One had green skin and yellow eyes with a light green stripe running from its eyes down its side all the way to its tail. The other raptor had orange-reddish skin. I then saw ten more raptors behind Owen. Oh no....

"It's nice to see you again," Blue growled. "We have you cornered, so give up," Blue growled. She then flicked her tail to the green raptor. "Algae, grab the young ones," she snapped. She turned to the orange-red raptor. "Red, keep her busy."

Algae and Red crept forward.

One of the raptors in the back snuck forward, its gaze glowing with amusement. "Silly Indoraptor, you're so weak to get yourself trapped," it taunted.

I snarled, showing my teeth. Standing up to my full height, I was taller than those stupid raptors. I growled and glared at the brown male raptor that had taunted me. "Want to call me weak again?" I growled. I leaped on the raptor, sinking my claws into his head and slamming him on the grass. The raptor churned against my belly with its large claws and I felt my rough skin starting to rip. I quickly clamped my jaws around his throat and lifted him into the air, throwing him at one of the other raptors. He then stood back up.

Owen pointed at me. "Go, Mud!" He ordered, backing up quickly. 

The brown raptor reared and leaped at me, his head crashing into my stomach. I was knocked back, gasping. I scrambled to my feet, meeting Mud with a swipe of claws. He dodged the attack and swiped at my snout. I then felt claws scrape my back and sides.

"Mom, help us!" 

I winced as I heard the cries of the young hybrids. I turned, seeing Algae and Red cornering them. Blue watched from up the hill, her eyes narrow. I felt a growl rising in my throat. No, they can't die! I then stood up and tried to shake the raptors off, but it wouldn't work. Mud leaped on my front legs and sank his teeth into the skin.

 I growled and grabbed him with my claws and tossed him in the air like a small piece of prey. He landed in my wide jaws and I crunched down, satisfaction running through me as I smelt blood. Claws scratched my back and I felt claws stab into my neck. I yowled and tried to through the raptors off, but they held on. Everytime I moved, their claws ripped my flesh more. I then remembered the gorge nearby that thinned out to the stream. I could try and drown them. But how? I closed my eyes, dropping on all fours and throwing Mud aside. 

I began running, hearing more raptors give chase behind me. I ducked under some branches and leaped over roots, my tail dragging behind me. I heard water close by. Before I could take another step, the ground cracked beneath me and gave way. I yowled in terror as I saw darkness below me. I clawed at thin air. Looking above me, I saw raptors looking down. One leaped over the edge, hissing. Its claws hooked into my chest and I growled. I felt my skin rip as it dragged its claws into my flesh. 

Another raptor leased over, hissing. It latched onto my head, roaring. I felt myself getting weak and falling faster in the darkness. I then gasped in pain as I felt my back hit a rough surface. I fell sideways, then rolled in the air, opening my eyes. I saw jutting rocks as I neared the water. I yowled in terror. I saw a large rock jutting out from the side. Maybe I could hold onto that before I fell in the water. I grabbed the raptor clinging to my chest. I curled my long fingers around its side, sinking my large claws into its belly. It coughed up blood, its eyes beginning to dull. I growled and grabbed its throat between my jaws, then tore off the raptor clinging to my head. I slashed its side as it began to fall closer to the water. The jutting rock was coming closer. I just had to get these last two raptors off before I grasped the rock. I twised around, grabbing one raptor and grabbing it in my jaws.

I neared the rock more. I tossed the raptor aside. I couldn't reach the other one! I yowled as I neared the rock. I clawed at the air, trying desperately to get closer to the safe surface. If I was too off to the side, I would hit the rock and be unconscious once I hit the water, then maybe drown. The raptor on my back sank its teeth into my flesh.

I lifted my claws, then felt my body hit the rock. I scrambled onto the rock, trying desperately to cling on to the slippery surface. I heard the rush of the water under me. The raptor growled and tried to drag me backward. No! I can't die! I felt my tail get dragged my the rough current. I clung onto the rock, clenching my teeth. I tried with all my strength to push myself up, but the raptor's weight hung me back. No, this was the end....