Chapter 14

Ebony's POV:

Finally! I've made it out of this damn cave! 

I scrambled from the tunnel, my claws scraping rock. Finally, sunlight bathed my skin. My fears and anxieties wouldn't left though. I still wondered if Feather, Fear, and Cilo were ok. 

I breathed the fresh air as I began to trot across the open countryside. Why did this land seem so familiar to me? Whatever, maybe it's nothing. 

The gurgle of water was close by, along with birds chirping in the trees and the sway of branches. Hunger.... I noticed the emptiness of my stomach and decided I'd hunt. I parted my jaws to taste the air and could smell mouse, bird, and the sweet scents of the grass. At least I can eat something.

I crouched down low, looking around to see if I could spot the mouse, but I couldn't see anything. Stalking in the grass, I could smell new scents. Wolf touched my nose. That was a bit concerning. I hope the baby hybrids are ok. A wolf could kill them. 

The girl's POV:

I lifted my head from my arms, tears still streaming down my face. I still couldn't stop thinking about Ebony, if he was ok. The news had reported of Owen's mission of finding the hybrids and killing one of them. But the rest had escaped, even... Ebony. I'd turned off the tv after hearing that. I guess it was too much to bear.

I got up from the chair I was sitting in and made my way to my bedroom, feeling angry. I punched the wall suddenly, letting my anger take control. "Ugh! Why did I ever find Ebony? I wish I never found him! Hell, I wish that egg never ended up in my yard!" I yowled, clenching my fists. 

After a moment of silence, I continued to my bedroom, wanting my anger to melt away. "Why did I ever find you, Ebony, just for you to be taken away? Just for you to be lost now... only a memory for me...."

Feather's POV:

I ran through the undergrowth, Cilo following me. I was angery and wanted to get away from those hell-spawned raptors. I remembered when that raptor had killed my brother. I remember looking at Blue. There was an emotion in her eyes. Regret, perhaps? Was that even the correct word. I didn't even know. 

"We should stop running. Ebony will never find us," Cilo sighed, stopping in his tracks. "Let's find shelter and rest, or Ebony'll will take days to find us."

"Are you ok with what just happened to Fear? He was our brother in case you forgot!" I growled, glaring at Cilo.

Cilo's red eyes shimmered. "Fear was weak. Why'd Ebony even give him that name?" He growled, lashing his tail.

"Because Ebony is an amazing father, duh," I pointed out.

"And plus, Fear wasn't even our brother. He wasn't born with us. He was...." Cilo trailed off, as if not knowing what to say. "Well let's just say he was... made?"

"How would you know?" I asked, turning back around. I spotted a tree that looked like perfect shelter. 

"I don't know. How do you not know?" Cilo hissed, his red eyes shimmering.

I ignored his smart comment and continued to run towards the tree. When I reached it, I dug my claws in and began to climb upwards, my eyes fixed on a nest. The white tips of eggs shown in the nest.

"Why are you climbing? What do we need to hide from?" Cilo asked.

"For... dammit! Just be quiet! I'm trying to catch us.. I don't know. Dinner? Super? A snack? Whatever this is..." I hissed as I reached the top.

Cilo climbed up after me. "Well I hope it's something good! I'm starving!" He hissed.

"It will be good," I said. "Just you wait." I crawled forward to the crook of the tree, leaning over the nest. There were four eggs. "Bingo! Four eggs!" I squeaked.

Cilo had a disappointed look on his face. "I was hoping it'd be four chicks. Then that would be even better."

"This... is almost the same," I whispered.

"Yeah but I'd be fun tearing those chicks apart," Cilo growled, a slight smile on his face.

I blinked at him slow. "O...k," I sighed awkwardly. "Let's crack them open now and eat!" 

Cilo hopped into the nest, slamming a claw into one of the eggs. As the yolk began to spill out, he out his mouth to the crack and slurped up the juices.

I did the same to one of the eggs as well. It honestly didn't taste very good, but at least it was something. After eating the other eggs, we felt full. 

"Where will we sleep?" Cilo asked, his eyes dreary.

"Well, we could climb higher and find a crook maybe," I suggested, blinking at him.

"Sure," Cilo murmured.

I climbed up the branch of the tree, my tail dangling from the branch. Wind streamed through my feathers. I spotted another nest, an empty one. I looked down at Cilo. "I didn't find a crook, but I found a nest. We could sleep here. It's empty."

Cilo shook his body. "Welp, move, I'm coming up."