Chapter 22

--Ebony's POV--

I tore into the trike's hide and ate a piece of flesh hungrily. Swallowing the meat, I then tore another chunk of flesh and swallowed once more. Licking my lips, I dove in for more. 

Tearing off the leg of the corpse, I brought it back to Feather and Cilo and began tearing off little chunks of meat for them to eat.

As I was chewing on the meat of the leg, I glanced at Feather and Cilo. "I'm glad you two are ok," I sighed, my claws digging into the meat.

Feather glanced at me and swallowed a piece of meat, licking his lips. "Why were you asleep for so long?" He asked.

Before I could answer the Avinychus's question, Cilo snorted. His nostrils flared and he lashed his pale-colored tail. "I could've killed the beast myself."

I narrowed my eyes and looked at him. "You could've gotten killed doing that. I'm here to protect you, you know."

Cilo snapped around and glared the me, baring his fangs. For some reason, as I stared into his eyes, I saw something familiar. Those eyes.... those blood-red eyes... "But you were never there for Fear," Cilo reminded me through bared fangs.

I froze. Pictures flashed in my mind as I remembered Fear, the sweet baby Indominus that was killed for no reason at all by the claws of Blue. I remembered his corpse... his decaying, rotten flesh... his eyes dull and wide with terror as they stared blankly up at the blue abyss above. I stood up, feeling anger scorch my body with warm heat. "You didn't save him either," I snapped at Cilo. "You have no idea what it's like to go through coming across the corpse of someone you love!" I roared loudly, crouching, as I glared at Cilo. 

Cilo glared at me and then ran, pushing past me and fleeing towards the trees. Wind whipped his sides as he ran, and his tail streamed out behind him. 

Feather turned to go and run after him, but I stopped him by blocking his path with my tail. "Let him cool off," I growled. Crouching down, I returned to eating the meat.

"I'm sorry about what you saw," Feather murmured, the quills on the back of his neck twitching.

"Don't be. It's not your fault," I sighed, avoiding his gaze. I shouldn't of snapped at Clio like that.... but.. you gotta do what you gotta do. 

"I'm going to go to sleep," Feather sighed, laying his head down. He closed his eyes and began to sleep peacefully, his tail occasionally twitching.

I decided that I would rest as well. Curling up beside Feather's small, warm body, I closed my eyes. Darkness swept over my vision and I was finally taken by sleep.

"Ebony, wake up!" 

I was jerked awake from my slumber by the cries of Feather, who sounded panicked and afraid. Blinking open my eyes, my vision was foggy with sleep, and everything was blurry. I opened my eyes wide and sat up, shaking my head.

"Ebony!" Feather cried once more, jumping up and down. "Cilo isn't back yet!" He whimpered, his eyes wide with fear.

I glanced down at the feathered hybrid, and blinked at him, still tired. The moon was already high in the sky, and crickets chirped their midnight songs. The stars glittered up in the dark blue, almost black abyss. "Calm down, he's probably sleeping somewhere. I'm sure he hasn't gone far," I sighed, trying to calm the Avinychus. I gaped my jaws in a huge yawn and snapped them shut, struggling to keep my eyes open.

Feather let out a hiss through clamped jaws. "Don't act like that! Come on, we have to go and search for him!" He suddenly sprinted past me and headed for the trees where Cilo had last been seen running off.

Finally, my mind snapped out of sleep and I was able to control myself. I scrambled to my feet clumsily and rushed after Feather. I didn't want to lose him too. I quickly caught up to him and leaped in front of him, roaring in annoyance. Feather stopped in his tracks. "Feather! Don't run off without me!" I snapped, glaring at him. 

Feather fluffed his brown feathers out in anger and bared his fangs at me. "You won't even help find Cil-"