Chapter 17

--Girl's POV--

There was more news on this 'perfected Indoraptor'. Henry had said it was actually the 2nd Indoraptor, and it was apparently raised alongside the escaped Indoraptor. So... Ebony had.... a sibling? Nothing made sense..

"We are training this Indoraptor to hunt down its sibling. Once the training is complete, we shall release it into the wild to hunt down the escaped Indoraptor."

--Ebony's POV--

Rain pounded around me and slipped off my thick skin. I'd dug a grave for Fear and buried him there, marking it with colorful flowers. I walked through this stupid forest, tired of being in the shade and under trees all the time. I never picked up a scent trail of Feather or Cilo, and the rain probably washed any trail away, so now I had nothing to help me. 

"Feather? Cilo?" I called. I always expected an answer, but I knew nobody would answer me. Why did I bother? What made me love those hybrids so much? 

My tail dragged behind me as I trudged on and on. Soon, I left the thick of the trees and was walking on soft grass. I could hear the gurgle of a stream nearby, and suddenly noticed a river. A water source! I saw a tree beyond the river. But something wasn't right. I heard panicked cries... and those cries sounded familiar. 

I ran forward. "Cilo! Feather!" I called, rushing towards the river. On a small rock in the middle of the river, I saw Feather and Cilo clinging on for dear life. They looked up as they saw me and cried for help. The river crashed around them and waves pounded the base of the rock. The current was strong, and the rain only helped it more.

"Hold on, I'm coming!" I called, my heart pounding with fear. I leaped on the bank, skidding on the pebbles and sand. I bunched my muscles, ready to leap on the rock, but then I realized something. There wasn't space on the rock for me to leap on it. If I did leap, I would knock Feather and Cilo off. They would drown. 

I then dove into the water where the rock was, making a large splash. Water droplets sprinkled down, spraying Feather and Cilo. The current, stronger than me, tugged me back. I lashed out, my claws skidding the rock. My head head went under the water and I accidentally suckered water through my notrils. My lungs seemed to pinch themselves. 

I broke free of the water and coughed, taking in a huge gulp of air. I held on to the rock, panting. "Feather, Cilo, climb on my head. Please hang on," I pleaded. The two baby hybrids obeyed and climbed on my head. I then climbed on the small rock and held on, my tail drooping and getting dragged by the current. Feather and Cilo moved towards my back, their claws digging in hard. I winced.

I bunched my muscles, ready to leap to the other side. I then leaped, my hind legs springing me forward. I soared through the air, my heart pounding. Rain pounded the ground and lightning split the sky like a jagged, glowing yellow claw. Everything seemed to be in slow motion as I soared through the air. 

I then hit the other bank, my talons sinking into the muddy grass. My hind claws tried to grasp the muddy bank, but they slipped. I then realized I was slipping. My claws tried desperately to hang on, but I couldn't. I was weak. "Quick, get on the grass!" I yowled. The baby hybrids leaped off my back and turned towards me, fear clouding their eyes. 

I tried to pull myself up, but I couldn't. I clenched my teeth and lashed my tail. Then, the ground beneath my talons slipped. Mud fell and slid down, making my talons let go. I yowled as I fell, my roar cutting off as I hit the water and slipped under. I was dragged by the strong current. I'm going to die! 

"Ebony!" Feather and Cilo screeched, their cries drowning out by the rushing of water around my ears.