Chapter 54

Ebony's POV:

The sun was low in the sky, warning that it was about to set and that night would be soon. Union's body was almost clean. I was still digging the hole, and I knew I needed to get done soon. This is going to have to be a big hole. I looked up, trying to see if Feather was still by Union's body. "Feather, how much time until you're done? I may need help digging this hole."

"Uh, about a few trips back and forth," Feather responded. He was rubbing the wet moss on Union's scales, cleaning off the blood. Then he turned away, heading back in the direction of the creek.

I continued to scoop dirt out, wrinkling my snout at the feeling of the dirt between my claws. I glanced back at Union's body, feeling guilty. Why do I feel like things would've been different if I had been here? 

Soon Feather returned again. He rubbed the moss on Union's scales again and was about to turn around, but I quickly stood up. "Hey Feather," I called. "Can I ask you something?"

Feather glanced at me. "Sure," he said. He walked over to me, his tail-tip flicking. "What's up?" He asked.

I blinked slowly, hesitating to ask my question. "You don't... blame me for Union's death do you?" I questioned. "I'm sorry- I just had to get that off my chest."

Feather's jaws parted slightly. "Of course I don't!" He gasped. "I blame Killer."

"Ok.. good," I muttered. "And you don't blame yourself, right?" I asked.

Feather hesitated. "Well... I kind of do. But Union talked with me as he lay, dying. It cleared up my thoughts." 

I smiled softly. Before I could respond, a loud sound cut through the sky. It was like a rumbling, and it was getting closer. I looked up and could see something black. 

"Ebony, what is that thing?" Feather asked, fear edging his voice. 

"I think it's a helicopter," I commented, moving closer to Feather. "Stay close to me."

The helicopter came closer and closer, creating a strong wind that ruffled the trees' leaves. It then began to lower itself. It created a wind that made the grass ripple, like each individual piece was trying to run away. 

I backed away from it, making sure Feather was close by me.

"The humans aren't going to shoot us, are they?" Feather asked me, though I could barely hear him over the loud sound of the helicopter's blades turning.

"I don't know," I replied. "Let's hope they don't."

The helicopter landed on the grass, and its blades began to get slower. The sound died down. A human stepped out, his gaze falling on me, along with Feather.  Three more stepped out. They were wearing some sort of black outfit, and they were holding tranquillizer guns. Another one stepped out. He was wearing a lab coat, and I recognized him clearly. We locked eyes.

Wu stepped forward. He looked down at Union's body, his face going pale. "Another one, failed," he muttered, bringing his hand up to his forehead. He turned to me and Feather. "You two are also my creations. I'm guessing the other two are dead?"

Hesitating, I nodded slowly. What does he want? Is he going to take me away again?

"Oh, you can understand me? Great. I need both of you to come back," Wu said. He stared at me intently. "There's someone waiting for you. Someone I think you'll be eager to see."

Instantly I stepped forward. Is he talking about the girl? But how does he know about her? How can I trust him? How do I know he's telling the truth? I looked down at Feather, blinking. "Come on. We're going with them."