Chapter 27

One vote= one Amazon Rainforest tree saved from the fire :'(

Ebony's POV:

I trudged slowly through the grass, not even calmed by the slow swaying of shadows on the ground. My coughing had gotten worse, and I had always felt short of breath. Tail dragging behind me, I kept walking. My head felt so heavy for some reason.

"Again, let me ask... Are you sure you know where you're going?" Feather asked. That was the fifth time he had drilled that question into my head. 

I sighed, facepalming. "And again, me tell you.... No!" I growled. I lashed my tail in annoyance and continued walking forward. The trees was thinning out, the grass getting denser, as well as bushes with berries popping up here and there.

"Do you think Killer and Cilo know our location?" Feather asked, blinking his four eyes at once. Wind whisked his feathers, making them shake.

"I don't think so. They had gone the opposite way last time we saw them," I mumbled, my tail dragging along the grass. Birds were singing in the trees, but it faded away as soon as we left the trees. The sun shone down on them, its heat warming them all over. 

Shadows cowered behind Ebony and Feather as they blindly trudged farther, the sun glaring down at them with a heated hatred. 

I glanced down at my claws, seeing that they shone in the sun's light like polished metal. I lifted my head and closed my eyes, a slight smile curling on my lips as I soaked up the sun's warmth.

Feather sighed beside me. "I'm hungry," he mumbled. I heard his tail rustle grass as it slithered behind him like a snake.

"You're always hungry," I sighed, opening my eyes. I was greeted with bright light. The sun appeared from behind a dark gray cloud, its bright rays shining down. "Now I'm starting to hate the sun," I growled.

Feather grumbled slightly, his throat vibrating as the growl stayed in his closed mouth. "And I guess the sun is starting to hate you too," he clicked playfully.

"Oh, stop," I mumbled, starting to walk faster. 

"What, can I not be playful?" Feather asked, running to catch up to me. Suddenly sadness clouded his eyes. His head drooped. "I miss playing with Fear..." 

I froze, my limbs seeming to turn to stone. Fear.... An emotion, but a name.... I parted my jaws to taste the air, my large hind claws clicking on the ground. I picked up the scent of a rabbit. "Rabbit. Follow me," I ordered to Feather. 

Feather hesitantly followed me. He fluffed out his feathers and quietly padded to where I was, crouching in the dense bushes.

My eyes were locked onto a rabbit feasting on some grass. Its tail wiggled. It had no idea that its life would be cut off. I turned to Feather slowly. "Feather, I want you to hunt the rabbit."

Feather glanced at me, his yellow eyes glistening like ice crystals. "You want me to hunt it?" He asked in surprise.

"Yes," I answered. "And remember, stay downwind. Don't let the rabbit smell you," I suggested, glancing at Feather. 

"Why though? Can't I outrun the rabbit?" Feather asked, narrowing his eyes. He apparently  wasn't waiting for a response and slightly got up, stalking towards the rabbit.

Suddenly, I felt the ground shake under me. My heart pounded. What was that? The earth shook again, almost as if it was trembling in fear. Suddenly, the trees, which were a few tail-lengths away from me, blurred and moved, suddenly forming into a large white figure. Killer...

"Feather! Run!" I screeched. I darted forward, my claws kicking up dirt as I skidded towards Feather. As I grabbed his feathered scruff, jaws clamped around my neck. I was lifted into the air, kicking and scrambling and struggling weakly.

I screeched in pain as teeth clamped harder into my neck. I felt blood trickle down the sides of my neck. Suddenly, I was thrown down hard on the ground. I felt a mouthful of grass and dirt in my jaws. I spat out the sour taste and whipped around, facing my attacker. 

"You, Ebony!" Killer growled, his tail lashing. The quills on the back of his neck twitched as he stared at me with those deep blood-red eyes. "This is where you die!" He growled.

Glancing at the scars on Killer's throat, an idea crossed my mind. I glared at Killer and spat in annoyance. I roared, "Come and get me then!" 

As Killer dove forward, his jaws extended, I slithered down and lashed upwards, my claws hooking into a large scar. The scar hadn't fully healed. I tore forward, reopening the wound.

Killer roared with pain. He regained his balance, blood dripping onto the grass. He growled and dove forward, his arm bending back as he was about to lash out at me. I dodged by hopping backwards and sprang forward, pushing myself into the air. I landed on Killer's large snout and climbed onto his neck.

Oop I had a test in science and lit today. At least lit was easy --