Chapter Sixty One: Something Old, Something New

It's the day of our wedding and before Benimaru leaves to get ready, he says to me, "I'm going to see you at the alter...your uncle mentioned some weird foreigner superstition about it being bad luck to see the bride in her dress before the wedding. Normally I don't really buy into that nonsense but for your family I'll respect it."

I kiss his cheek, "Thank you."

He smiles back at me, "I better get going. Your aunt and uncle want to give you something before the ceremony."

And with that he leaves and my aunt and uncle enter into the room. Jerry stops right in front of me holding a sleek black box, "I want to give you this. From where me and your dad came from there was a saying about having something old and something new on your wedding day. Your father gave it to your mother for their wedding and it was passed down from your grandmother."

He opens the box and reveals a small golden pendent with a heart that is inscribed with, When mountains crumble to the sea, there will still be you and me.

"Where's the quote from?" I ask as he clasps the necklace around my neck.

"A very old song, called Thank You by Led Zeppelin. It was my parent's song, very special to the both of them." He turns to leave, "Anyways...I better get going. You need to get ready for...your big day. Excuse me." He leaves quickly, leaving me and my aunt alone.

As Nana helps me into my kimono she tells me, "He's very happy for you but there's a part of him that is devastated by the fact your parents are not here to see you off."

"I don't really see it that way. Sure they may not be here with me in a physical sense but I like to think that they are present with me in some ways. Not like a spirit, but more that they are apart of me and who I am today. They're in my heart and in a way that makes them present."

"You're such a strong woman, I hope one day I can be blessed with a daughter with your strength and wit." After she's done with tying the sash, she helps me into the delicate pastel blue uchikake. She soon sits me down and begins to work on my hair, "I lost my parents too. So I understand that feeling of holding onto your loved ones in your heart."

"When did they die?" I ask as I feel her pull and contort my hair into something elaborate.

"When I was sixteen, my dad turned infernal and killed my mother while I was at school. I came home to nothing but ashes. My parents weren't present at our wedding so I had to pull that stubborn man aside to help him with his wedding yukata. He made a big fuss about how it's bad luck to see the bride before the wedding, so I told him to cover his eyes. And he did. I remember how he told me without a hint of embarrassment that he never saw me look more beautiful. And that's when I told him to look at me and he did. The look in his eyes were like nothing else. The only thing that was missing at our wedding was family...and we want to give you that." She places one last strand in place and stands back observing her work with pride, "You look beautiful and that little bump is hidden perfectly."

"You knew?" I ask.

"Of course I knew, I'm not blind like your uncle. Come on, let's not keep them waiting."

🌹🌹🌹💐🌹🌹🌹

My uncle walks me to the shrine where my wedding is to take place. I can tell from his quiet sniffles he is trying to hold back tears.

I wipe his cheek with my hand, "Don't cry Jerry, I'm proud to have you by my side today. Even though my parents are not here, they're with me in my heart and they will always be there. And I'm more than grateful for everything you have done."