Chapter Fifty Three: Real with Yourself

The longer Shinra practiced, the stranger he looks. His face contorts into some of the ugliest and strangest expressions I have ever seen.

"Didn't anyone tell ya that if you keep making faces it'll get stuck that way?" I ask Shinra.

The demon twins join in, Hikage jeers, "But wasn't his face already weird? Does that mean it's stuck?"

Hinata snickers, "Poor Shinra, his face is permanently ugly."

"Hey my face isn't weird!!" Shinra argues.

They start chanting about ugly Shinra and I have to leave before I get cursed. "Uh I'm gonna get you something to drink."

Shinra cries out, "At least take the demons with you!"

Sorry Shinra, you'll have to soldier on with the demon twins torment.

🍵🍵🍵🍛🍵🍵🍵

I walk outside with a cooler full of iced green tea and water. Benimaru is talking Shinra through something about hand gestures and chakras.

I sit back down next to Konro, "Did Shinra figure something out?"

Konro reaches over and grabs a bottle of iced tea, "Yeah the kid is definitely onto something but Benimaru is just fine tuning it."

I watch as Shinra uses the same hand gesture that Beni showed him; his flames taking him much higher than other times. He actually shocks himself and stumbles back. He mumbles something and then takes on the same stance; this time he had a different look on his face, not a ridiculous expression but one of total concentration. Then he suddenly shoots high up into the air; higher than I've ever seen him fly.

I look back over and notice Arthur attempting a sneak attack. But as expected, Beni kicks him in the face, "Well done for taking the silent approach."

There goes more of Arthur's brain cells. I think as I watch Arthur and Shinra continue sparing against Benimaru.

🥡🥡🥡🥢🥡🥡🥡

Benimaru finally gives his students a break. While Beni may act like he hates doing this, I can tell by the spark in his eyes that he's enjoying himself.

I look over at Konro, "You know, sometimes I just wish he'd be real with himself and admit he's having fun."

Konro chuckles, "Yeah same, but that's not Benimaru. He'd die before admitting he's having fun sparing with those two knuckleheads."

"Yeah, you're right. By the way, does mama Konro have a lunch prepared?" I ask.

"Mama Konro?" Shinra asks while trying not to laugh.

"Something she calls me to get on my nerves. And ya know, I think we're short on curry all of a sudden..." Konro teases.

"I meant to say 'oh manly mama Konro, please grant this lowly peasant a taste of your curry.'" I say with as much theatric as possible.

"Ugh that's even worse. Fine I'll get your sorry ass some curry."

"Thank you manly mama Konro." I call out as Konro goes inside to get our lunch.

Benimaru walks over and rests his head on my lap. I pet his hair gently, "Tired of your students already?"

"No, I just really like your lap. Primo napping spot."

Arthur and Shinra sit next to me as we all wait on Konro. I look over at Arthur, "So how was fighting our King of Destruction?"

"He is indeed a formidable opponent, but it's the job of knight king to fight the unbeatable foe."

"Ah the Man of La Mancha."

"Yes, I saw it performed on tv once with my family."

"Is that why you like knights so much?" I ask as Konro steps out and sets out our lunch.

"Not quite, it's definitely a wonderful tale of knighthood. But I made a promise to my parents to be the king knight of my household."

I accept my plate of curry from Konro, "Is that so? Then I'll hope for your promise to be fulfilled."

Arthur smiles, "Thank you queen Clarisse."

🍘🍘🍘🍛🍘🍘🍘

Their training passes by in the blink of an eye. By noon we are seeing them off at the train station as they head into a new battle.

Benimaru looks over at me, "Your hands are shaking, you're obviously worried about those boys."

We begin to walk back to the guardhouse, "Yeah...I can't help it. They're brave but also very young."

"You're only a year older than them."

"I know but it's like I have this selfish need to protect everyone. I know it sounds ridiculous."

Benimaru looks over at a ramen stand, "Wanna go eat dinner before we head back?"

"Sure."

Benimaru and I sit down at the stand and order ourselves some spicy ramen. Suddenly he holds my shaking hands, "It's not ridiculous to feel that way about anybody. But I don't think anything bad is going to happen. They have that gorilla of a captain watching their backs and those idiots are too stupid to die, let alone catch a cold."

We receive our ramen in an instant, "You're right. The eighth always seems to survive whatever is thrown at them." We slurp down our ramen and I notice that he didn't order his usual sake, "You're not drinking?"

"I don't want you to be the only sober person dealing with my drunk ass. It's not fun being sober while dealing with a drunk." I lean over and kiss his cheek, he wipes the ramen broth off his cheek, "Your lips are covered in ramen broth, you boob." 

"Well now I can cover your face in ramen broth." I grin evilly.

He gently flicks my forehead, "Lewd woman."

"Asshole." I snark back.

We continue to eat our ramen as we joke and tease one another under the twilight sky.