Chapter Eighteen: Street Brawls

Konro grabs my shoulders and pushes me in the opposite direction, "Let's go. There's no stopping those two when they start brawling."

"Was this a normal occurrence?" I ask as Konro pushes me far away from the fighting.

"Wakana is what some call...a dragon lady. So naturally her hard headedness clashes with Shinmon's temper and stubbornness. They're friends...practically siblings in their own right but it's best to head back to the guardhouse before shit gets out of hand."

I start walking ahead of him, "Alright, besides I want to lay down and have some tea. By the way, what is up with the shamisen? Does she use it for her ignition ability?"

Konro walks beside me, "Yeah, she plays the shamisen and depending on the rhythm and certain music theories she can control her flames."

"So she's a scientist and a musician? Doesn't that make her into a renaissance woman?"

"I suppose, but don't tell her that. She has a big enough head. She's always been into the arts and sciences, even before she inherited her ignition abilities."

"Why isn't she your company's scientist?" I ask.

"Hmm..." he looks contemplative, like he was debating telling me something sensitive. "Fuck it, you're gonna find out sooner or later. Do you ever wonder why I constantly wear bandages?"

"I mean yeah, but I thought it was a fashion statement." I answer honestly.

He chuckles a little, "Quite far from that. Your medical classes have taught you about overheating, right?"

"Of course, it normally happens to 3rd generation fire soldiers who overuse their ignition ability resulting in a lack of oxygen...you have Tephrosis...don't you?" I ask gravely as it all clicks together.

"Yes, I do. My sister became the Japanese government's scientist so she could figure out how to cure my Tephrosis. But...I don't think there is a cure."

"I don't blame her. I would do the same if I was in her shoes."

"Yeah I would probably do that for her but...I just don't want her to sit there and blame herself...like Shinmon does."

"Why do they feel like carrying that responsibility?"

As we reach the door to the guardhouse, Konro pauses, "Before you joined us, Asakusa was a fiery battlefield everyday. The sky was constantly black with smoke and the destruction was immense. We didn't have as much of a fire force or the support we do now from the government. The infernals wouldn't stop coming so I had to make a decision. Leave people to die so I can live or possibly die and save even just one person. So I chose the latter. Shinmon was there but Wakana was with her ex boyfriend that day. I decided to knock Shinmon out so I could take on the infernal demon. If we both fought it, we would both be weakened with Tephrosis. Those two carry a lot...but I hope one day they can recognize that what happened to me was never their fault. I chose this so I will live with the consequences of my actions." 

He opens the door and I follow him inside, "I had no idea..."

He ruffles my hair, "It's fine. It's my story to tell, I rather you know now."

Before I could reply, Benimaru and Wakana kick down the door. Both of them appearing bruised up and dirty.

"Who won?" Konro asks without missing a beat.

"Technically I did, since I stole his wallet. Money wins baby." Wakana fans herself with some bills.

Benimaru snatches it out of her hand, "When did that happen you fucking pick pocket?"

"Oh my, was little Shinmon not paying attention?" She mocks the captain.

"You're lucky the train ride worn me out otherwise I'd kick your ass again you bitch."

"What strong language for little Shinmon." She snickers before walking over to her brother, "I was thinking, I deserve a hot pot as a welcome home dinner."

He chuckles quietly, "And you want me to make it."

"Please~ I haven't had any of your home cooking in six months. I brought back some high quality Bhang and alcohol."

"Fine, but I get a bottle of some of that primo liquor you've brought back. Let's head to the market before they close. You can pick out whatever you like."

Wakana fist pumps, "Yes! Hot pot~ hot pot tonight!"

Konro turns to us, "You guys should rest, you just got home."

Benimaru wraps his arm around my shoulder, "Believe me we will."

After the two left we went up to Benimaru's room and plopped on the bed. I curl up to Benimaru, resting my hand on his chest. His hand is stroking my back softly; drawing circles and delicate lines along my spine. He turns to face me and takes my hand to his lips to plant a gentle kiss. His arms wrap tightly around me, pressing my body against his.

"Did you like Tsukimi?" He asks sleepily.

I smile, "I loved it. But I'm also glad to be home."

He looks down at me, his cheeks flushed, "Home? You consider Asakusa your home?"

I rest my hand on his cheek, "Wherever I'm with you is my home."

He gently kisses my forehead, "Ditto, you lewd nun."

I pinch his side, "Do you have to call me that when we're having a nice moment?"

He laughs softly, "I love teasing you. You know this."

I breathe out a sigh, "Believe me, I do."

"Let's rest for now. We're gonna have a hot pot tonight."

I close my eyes and drift off to sleep encased in Benimaru's strong arms.