Chapter Two: Weird Girl

I woke up to find a blanket covering me. Who gave me a blanket?

I have very few belongings since leaving the temple. I only have a small amount of cash and...my mother's favorite book. I pull out the old copy of Fahrenheit 451. She had named me after the character Clarisse McClellan. Memories of my mother reading to me next to the fire place floats through my mind. I just turned eighteen and I still can't keep it together. I just want my mom again.

"Hey it's the sister from the ramen shop." I hear a friendly voice call out.

I look up to see the man with a scar standing over me. I quickly stand up to greet him, "Yeah it's me, continuing my protest."

He smiles softly, "Well can I get your name so I don't keep calling you the sister from the ramen shop?"

"It's Clarisse Montag. And your name?" I ask while smelling the delicious scent of his morning coffee and donuts.

"Konro Sagamiya. Ah I recognize that book." He points to my book in my hands. "Strange how now we're the ones burning."

"It's my all time favorite, I'm actually named after Clarisse." I reply excitedly.

"Your parents must have good tastes. I have more books by Ray Bradbury if you ever want to read more of him."

I clasp his hands and look up at him like he was a saint, "You're serious!? You'll let me borrow your books?"

He smiles warmly, "Of course, it's always nice to have a fellow book worm around."

"Thank you. You're a saint."

"Now you're flirting with my lieutenant. Where does it end with you?" Shinmon interrupts.

"I'm not flirting with him, it's something called human kindness. Maybe look it up some time."

"Be careful with this one Konro, she gets annoying even though she is easy on the eyes."

Konro sweats nervously, "Come on Shinmon, she's not that bad."

"Looks like you could learn a thing or two from your lieutenant about manners." I say with a sneer in Shinmon's direction.

He rolls his eyes, "Come on Konro, we got paperwork to do."

Konro looks at me apologetically, "See you around lunch?"

I smile at him, "Of course."

I open my light wallet with a grimace. I don't have enough to last a week. It doesn't matter, I will stay here until he accepts me.

I wrap the blanket around me and begin to reread Fahrenheit 451.

🐯🐯🐯🐯🐯🐯🐯

"Hey give him back!" I hear a small voice cry out.

I look up from my book to see two boys holding a stuffed tiger out of this little girl's grasp.

"If you want him so bad you can just come and get him." The boy says as he whirls the tiger around by its tail.

Quickly the tail rips off and the tiger falls to the ground. The moment the girl starts crying, I stand up and run towards the bullies.

"Hey punks!! You better start apologizing before I kick your ass."

The boys drop the tail and bolt as I came near the girl. I can hear her quiet sobs. I gently pick up the tail and crouch near her.

"Hey I can fix your friend here if you want."

She looks up with tears still streaming down her cheeks, "You can?"

I smile and pat her head, "Yes I can. I have a small sowing kit in my bag. Let's go sit down and I'll start fixing your little friend up for you."

We walk over to my spot under the captain's window. I pull out my needle and thread from my first aid kit to set to work on the tiger. She watches closely as I sow.

"Do those boys always bully you?" I ask her as I work.

"Yeah...they bully me since my parents became Infernals."

I felt a stab in my heart as I picture my own family when they turned into Infernals ten years ago. More orphans because of the damn spontaneous human combustion.

As I finish sowing the tail back to her tiger I say, "Don't be ashamed to be a survivor. Those boys should be ashamed of their ugly actions, not of your circumstance. Come to me if they keep bullying you, I'll kick their ass."

I hand her back her tiger, "He's fixed! Thank you sister!!"

"You're welcome, now go off and play."

She smiles as she runs off with her stuffed tiger close to her chest.

"Why'd you do that?" I hear a gruff voice above me.

"Well Captain Benimaru, I despise bullies and...there are so many little girls and boys like her. It's hard not to help."

"Are you one of those orphans?" He asks.

I look into his eyes, I didn't detect any malice so I answer honestly. "As a matter of fact I am. My entire family became Infernals when I was eight years old. I was sent to the Holy Temple of Sol since I didn't have any other living relatives."

"Is that why you're a nun to the church?" He asks from his window.

"Yeah, it is. I am indebted to my fellow sisters' kindness. They didn't have to be kind to me, they could've made my life a living hell. But they didn't."

"Never feel indebted for kindness. Be kind to others so it can go around." His words and eyes are softer than usual.

"Funny how I'm hearing that from you but..." I return his softness, "You're quite right about that."

"Of course I am. Anyways I need to get back to work." He walks back to his desk.

So he can be kind when he chooses to.