Chapter Thirty Three: Investigating Company One

Once I enter company one's territory, I use my ignition ability to propel myself to higher ground. I reach the top of a building and get a fair view of a portion of company one's territory. I need to get higher...according to this map their territory is pretty big. I need to see their movement during an infernal alarm. I look around for the highest building to find that it's company one's headquarters. Judging by the size of the cathedral, the top of the dome would be the best vantage point to get a bird's eye view of territory. But...I run the risk of being found out if someone spots my suspicious ass on top of their church. I might as well just go to the church under the guise of visiting Tamaki. That would raise less suspicion as to my being there. With a plan finally settling in my mind, I make my way to company one's headquarters.

🔥🔥🔥🎍🔥🔥🔥

Tamaki hasn't answered her phone after I have tried calling her first. So I just head into the church to search for her. I walk around the church's grounds aimlessly for a long while before I hear a commotion. I run in the direction of the sound to find a gated court and some fire soldiers sparing. I quickly find Tamaki pressed against the gate watching.

I go over to her, "Tamaki what's going on here?"

"Clarisse?! What're you doing here?"

"Just here to do some praying since part of my deal with seven is that I'll keep the religious stuff out of the guardhouse." I lie.

"Oh, Shinra decided to pick a fight with captain Burns!"

"He's got spunk, I can give him that." I reply as the match between Rekka and the tall fire soldier ended.

"Too much if you ask me." Tamaki grumbles.

I look back at the tall fire soldier from company two to notice that he is staring at Tamaki. Can he be anymore obvious? Poor guy doesn't have a chance since Tamaki has her sights on Rekka. I send out a silent prayer for the strange tall guy from company two.

"Well Tamaki, I gotta go and do that prayer stuff. See you later."

"See you later!" She beams back as runs off to kick Shinra.

I silently watch as she jumps at Rekka and he picks her up by her shoulders. I frown, remembering our previous encounter with the flask. Time to blend in and eavesdrop.

🔥🔥🔥⛪️🔥🔥🔥

I go into the cathedral and sit quietly, pretending to pray. So far I've heard nothing of use except for inane gossip. As I stand up to leave, giving up on my recon, a familiar voice calls to me.

"Clarisse! Tamaki told me you were here." I turn to meet eyes with Rekka.

Play it cool. Don't let on what you know. "Yeah I came by to do some prayer since the attack on the rookie games left me feeling uneasy."

"Praying is good for seeking guidance from a greater power."

"Hope you're not losing anything like last time." I try to sound sincere.

"Ah that. I haven't thanked you properly. Would you mind if I walked you to the gate as a way of thanks?"

If I reject him I will look more suspicious. "That sounds lovely."

As we're walking towards the exit, I try to casually bring up the spike in fires. "I hear that company one has seen more human combustion these days. Must be keeping ya busy."

"We have seen an increase but nothing my all star team can't handle!"

"Ah yes, you have Tamaki on your team. Is she doing alright with the increasing combustion incidents?"

"Tamaki is being a real star, she's always there to aid as a sister."

We reach the gate, before I pass through Rekka remarks, "Stay safe and don't get burned."

I look back at him sternly to show I'm not afraid of his veiled threat, "I'll make sure of that."

His eyes shone with amusement. I quickly turn away and leave; his threat still ringing in my mind.

🧯🧯🧯🕯🧯🧯🧯

As I walk towards the station I hear the blaring infernal alarm. I gotta find out what's happening. I run towards the smoke. I turn the corner and stop seeing company one at the scene. I hide behind a wall and look for somewhere to climb. I go down an alley and activate my flame wings. I use my flame to propel myself up to the top of the wall. Bouncing back and forth off the walls, my flames acting as ignition. I finally reach the top of the wall and look down to see five small infernals. I watch as the first takes care of the infernals, waiting for them to leave so I can look around for any clues. My eyes are trained on Rekka the whole time as he fights the infernal children; burning and screaming out in pain. It takes all of my energy to keep myself balanced on the tall wall while shaking and crying. My brother...the burn marks on my hand.

Finally it stops; I leap down from the wall after the last of the fire soldiers leave. I sneak from the shadows, making sure no one is there before I walk over to the burn marks on the ground. I take a small bit of my flame and use my second generation powers to shape it in a dandelion flower as I walk around the possible scene of a crime. I walk around for an hour and before I decide to leave and jump on the last train, I spot something shining in the darkness. I walk over to find another empty vile. I pick it up and glare at it. Seems Rekka has a nasty habit of leaving important things behind.