Chapter Five: Dandelions and Love

I start my first day as a member of the 7th company doing paper work alongside my fellow soldiers. I could only make it through half my stack before I desperately need a break.

"Konro, how mad will the captain be at me if I took my lunch break now?" I ask.

"Let's both go on our lunch break. Then he'd have to be mad at both of us, which he doesn't have the energy for."

"You're a genius Konro."

With our determination of eating ramen and ditching paper work alive in our hearts, we set off to the local ramen stand.

🌼🌼🌼🌼🌼🌼🌼

"Udon noodles today." I tell the ramen stand man.

"Coming up sister." He replies.

While waiting on my noodles, I overhear a young voice say, "Those aren't flower Hiyori, those are weeds. They're completely useless."

"But they're pretty." A sharp voice replies.

I walk behind the stand to find three little girls with bunches of wild flowers and dandelions around them.

"What're you arguing about?" I crouch down by their picked flowers.

"We weren't arguing sister!" The small brunette says.

"Don't worry you're not in trouble, I see you have dandelions." I pick up one.

"You mean weeds?" The freckled girl asks.

"They are weeds but they are useful in their own way. They say if you rub a dandelion under your chin, it can tell if you are in love. You're in love if some of the yellow pollen rubs off." I take one gently and rub it under my chin.

"And if it doesn't?" The timid raven haired child asks.

"Then you're not. So am I in love or not?" I ask tilting my chin.

"Oh my. You're very much in love." The brunette child exclaims.

That's strange I don't remember falling in love. Oh well it's just a superstition.

"So this is where I find you." I hear a familiar gruff voice say.

"Hey I'm on my lunch break Shinmon." I snap at Shinmon.

He walks up beside me, "What're you doing anyways?"

The freckled girl beams, "Sister has taught us that if dandelion pollen rubs off on your chin it means you're in love."

He crouches down next to me, "Go ahead, tell me if I'm in love." He sticks out his chin.

The small brunette girl rubs a dandelion under his chin. His chin is completely yellow.

"He's in love too. Then that means." The freckled girl looks between us, mischief dancing in her eyes, "Are you two in love with each other?"

"Me with this gloomy guy. No way." I say.

"Yeah there's no way I could love this crazy nun." He states.