Chapter Thirty Six: Take Me to Church

Once again I'm in Shinjuku, this is my last time being here as an official sister. Being a sister wasn't completely the worst. I liked helping the grieving with coping and giving them even a slither of hope. Unfortunately that and investigating the church is no longer enough of a reason to remain. I clutch onto the bag holding my nun's uniforms. I almost walk pass a pharmacy until I remember that I need a morning after pill. One quick stop won't hurt anyone.

I walk inside the pharmacy and track down the pill in the contraceptive section. As I'm about to go to the counter I hear someone ask, "Aren't you nuns supposed to be virgins?"

I whirl around to see none other then Joker, smirking at my flustered reaction, "I'm leaving the church and quite popping up randomly."

"You're not giving up already on looking for the truth, are you?"

"No. I just need a new plan that doesn't endanger Asakusa."

He looks around, "Go grab yourself a drink. Consider it on me." He plucks the box of contraceptives out of my hand.

"Fine, it's your money weirdo." I say before heading over to grab an iced green tea.

I toss the drink at Joker, who of course catches it. He turns, "Nice try kid but you're gonna have to do better than that."

I sit outside on a bench as I wait for Joker to come out with my stuff. My mind begins to wander to Tamaki and Rekka. What do I even do or say? I can't tell her my suspicions, that will definitely go back to Rekka. With Asakusa on the line, I need to find a different approach.

"Kid, what're you looking so grim about?" I hear Joker say.

I look up, "Oh I don't know, why do you think I look grim?"

"Come on, I'll walk towards the church as far as I can go before things get squirrelly."

He doesn't pose an immediate danger...I don't think he'll hurt me out of respect for my mom. "That works."

"So why the sudden change in job?"

"Well I dug my grave and Asakusa's grave as well. I almost ditched, thinking about going towards the shoreline so no one got hurt because of me. But..." I want you to stop being a sister to company seven and become my wife. I blush as the memory resurfaces.

"But?" Joker asks impatiently.

"But Benimaru proposed to me so I decided to stay as his fire soldier instead."

"Oh that's why ya need the pill."

"You don't have to be so vulgar about it."

"...did you find what you were looking for?"

"Yes but now I'm left with more questions and no real way to move foreword...I wanted to ask..."

"What?"

"Did you know my dad?"

"Yeah I did. You have his blue eyes and smile. Me and your mom used to wait for your dad to get off work at this little bar near the train station. I had some fun times with them. We were just a couple of bar rats."

I smile warmly at him, "My dad was working late nights at the hospital in Tokyo, right?"

"Yep, we'd all drink for a bit before they had to head back to Hakone. Your mother came to the bar rain or shine two hours before your dad's shift ended so she could gamble and drink."

For some reason my mind went to Benimaru sleeping on a bench outside the train station waiting for me. "I think I misjudged you."

"Nah I'm still an antihero."

"Take a compliment will ya?"

He starts laughing, "Man you sounded just like your mom just then."

"Thanks."

"Well this is as far as I go before I start running into familiar faces. But before you leave, I want to tell you...don't trust me. Don't put any faith in me, I'm not a good person. I just do whatever entertains me. Alright?"

"Would ya stop trying to tell me what to think and feel about you? Besides you're good enough to give me that warning so you're not a complete piece of shit. I'll see you around Joker."

"See ya Em- Clarisse." Joker suddenly corrected himself.

I continue to walk towards the church; feeling thankful that my chat with Joker eased most of my nerves.

🔥🔥🔥⛪️🔥🔥🔥

As I'm walking towards the room I'm supposed to meet with the head of my congregation, I see Tamaki and Rekka walking towards me. I glare at Rekka.

Tamaki, oblivious to the tension hugs me, "Clarisse! I've been seeing you so much lately. I'm not complaining, quite the opposite. So what're you doing here this time?"

"Well I'm quitting my position of being a nun."

"Huh? Why?" Tamaki looks worriedly at me.

"Benimaru asked me to marry him."

Tamaki squeezes me tightly, "I-I'm so happy for you!!! He better take good care of you, I swear."

I pat her head gently, "He will." I turn my attention to Rekka, "Tamaki, mind if I borrow Rekka for a second?"

"I don't mind." She answers.

"Let's go talk real quick."

"Sounds good to me." He gives me a fake smile and thumbs up.

We walk around a corner so Tamaki doesn't see. Immediately I grab him by the collar of his priest habit and pin him to the wall, "Listen up you fake ass bitch. If I ever find out that you hurt Tamaki, I will fucking kill you. I will make you see those fucking stars you love so much. Got it?"

"My stars, what a vulgar thing for a sister to say. Maybe leaving the position is for the best."

"Don't take me lightly because I'm a woman. I will kill you." I let go of him, "And don't drop anything else important."

I walk away towards the room where my life is going to drastically change forever.

A/N: I've been thinking, Clarisse's song is definitely Saint Bernard by Lincoln. I'd say the song bared some influence on creating her. (Main influence being Fahrenheit 451 and anything Ray Bradbury)