13

"Sweetsong is Elmpaw ready to become a warrior?" Sorrelstar asked.

     Sweetsong's eyes sparkled with pride "Absolutely!" she chirped.

     "Alright then, Elmpaw step forward" Sorrelstar ordered. I watched as Elmpaw puffed out his chest as pranced up to the squirrelrock.

     "I, Sorrelstar, leader of Squirrelclan, call upon my warrior ancestors to look down on this apprentice, he has trained hard to understand the ways of your nobel code, and commend to you as a warrior in his turn.

     "Elmpaw, do you promise to uphold the warrior code protect and defend this clan even at the cost of your life?"

     Elmpaw's loud voice rang out "I do!"

     "Then by the powers of Starclan I give you your warrior name, Elmpaw, from this moment you shall be known as Elmshade, Starclan honors your loyalty and your skill in fighting and we welcome you as a full warrior of Squirrelclan!"

     Sorrelstar rested her head on his and he lick her shoulder in turn.

     ELMSHADE! ELMSHADE! ELMSHADE!

     The newly named Elmshade puffed out his chest in pride. His light green eyes roamed across the cats until they landed on her.

     When he saw me he push his way past his brother Oakpaw and his father Timberfoot to reach me.I

     Once he got to my side he touched his nose to my cheek, whispering "I wish Leafwhisker was here."

     Meeting his gaze I noticed his eyes were filled with sadness and pain.

     Feeling sad I touch my nose to his shoulder in sympathy. Then I mumbled "she's watching us from the stars."

     He nodded his eyes brightening a little. " Elmshade time to sit vigil." Sweetsong called.

     He gave me one last look his eyes filled with hope and love before he left.

     Trotting over to the apprentices den I slid into my nest besides Tinypaw.

     I hope Elmshade doesn't want to be my mate I thought. Because little did he know someone else had already captured my heart.