twenty five

Our smiles faded away as the drone made its way through the royal merchant wreck. There was no gold. At least not there anyway.

"It's not there" Pope mumbles. "Just pull the drone up" John B says. I could almost hear the disappointment in his voice. "We can do another pass, recharge the battery" Pope tries to lighten the mood.

"Guys we've been through it there's times, there's nothing there!" JJ yells. "Shut up JJ!" Kie yells back. "He's right Kie, it's gone! Or maybe it was never there!" I yell.

John B snaps his head back at me. "How could you say that, Elizabeth? Our dad spent his life working to find this!" He yells at me. "Sorry but that man favored being rich over his own kids!" I reply.

"But if it was there, it would have been found on the metal detector. Someone beat us too it" Pope says. "Or like Liz said, it was never there" I hear JJ mumble at the front of the boat.

The ride back was silent, me and my brother took a ride back to the chateau on hms pogue. We were silent the whole time as we walked in. "Hey guys" a lady said from the couch making me jump.

John B looked back at her before making an annoyed face. "Ya know Cheryl, it's kind of a bad time for a check in" John B states. I nod sarcastically in agreement.

"Not a check in, we're here to take you both" she states. I sigh. "Today? Really?" John B asks. "It's just for a few weeks until your hearing" she replies. I groan. "Cheryl, look, we're not going into foster care" My brother says.

A police officer walks up behind us which causes me to jump again. "Jesus lady how many more people do you got in my house?" I ask. She doesn't reply. "Guys, this is deputy Thomas, he works with juveniles for the sheriffs department" she says.

"Holy shhhh" John B backs away from the officer as he pushes me behind him. "Look, I know uncle T is down in Mississippi working at a casino, he hasn't been here in months" She adds.

John B and I try to make a run for it around the table but the officer moves and we both back away again. "See, that's my nightmare right there" he says.

"Look, I feel really prosecuted right now by you and especially mr. big head over here" He refers to the officer who was eyeing both of us. "What are you gonna do, you gonna taze one of us?" John be asks.
I let out a laugh.

John b tries to run again but the officer has him on the floor within seconds. Before I knew it, the case worker had us packing up our lives into backpacks.

I was aggressively shoving clothes into my bag, I grabbed my phone charger and my phone before making my way over to my dresser.

I looked at all the printed out pictures on the mirror. One of me and my father, one of me and my brother, one of JJ kissing my cheek, and one of me with all the pogues.

I grabbed the four pictures and shoved three of them into my backpack. I looked at the picture I had with JJ before deciding to carry it with me as I left.

Me and John B met in the small hallway, we looked at each other before tears started to form in my eyes. I was terrified. I was about to leave my boyfriend, I friends, the place that made me who I was, my home.

John B held me close as we made our way out to the blue and white sheriff suv parked in our driveway. I watched as the car made its way to the end of our dirt road, thinking about all the events that lead up to this moment.

John B sat beside me with his window slightly open. He held the picture of our dad in his hands, I could only imagine the pain he was feeling right then and there.

The sounds of the police radio became muffled as I watched John B purposely let the picture of our dad fly out the window. "Hey hey please! Stop! The picture! It's the last picture of my dad please!" He yelled.

"Not gonna happen" the officer harshly said back. "Please just stop the car! That's all me and my sister have left!" John B says. The car comes to a stop.

The officer climbs out to look for the picture. I quietly unbuckle my seat belt and shove the picture of me and JJ into my bag as I know what's about to come next. "Cheryl, can we help him look? Please?" John B asks.

"Look at this idiot, he's not even looking in the right spot!" I say, looking out the back window. "It's gonna get trashed, it's our final keepsake. Please?" John B asks again. I grab on tightly to my backpack.

The case officer hesitates before unlocking the car. Me and John B smirk at each other before getting out. "Thanks Cheryl" was all we said before booking it out of the backseat.

"Later Thomas!" John B says as we both put the straps of our backpack on. I was laughing. We run to across the street, almost getting hit by two cars before hopping a gate into a cemetery. There was no looking back this time.

We exit the cemetery, still sprinting. I follow my brother to one of his friend's houses to 'borrow' the two bikes he had over the fence. We run with the bikes until we hit the tar and start to get on.

"I'll bring them back I promise!" John B yells as we quickly start to pedal. I loose John B when he turns into a driveway. "Shit!" I mumble.

I keep going, I don't know where, but I finally realize where I am as I get into town. I was looking around, making sure DCS wasn't anywhere near me when I run straight into a granite post.

I fly over the handle bars and land on the tar in front of me. A small crowd starts to form. Before I pass out, I faintly hear a voice coming from above me.

"Holy shit! Liz? Babe are you ok?" JJ says, dropping whatever he was holding to pick me up.

——————————

A/N

JJ is the cutest🥺

Hope you had a good Monday! Enjoy writing this chapter, hope you liked reading it :)

Won't be posting tomorrow, I have school smh🙄